Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Bumper popped out, Dealer messed it up?

Old 11-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ventro is an unknown quantity at this point
Bumper popped out, Dealer messed it up?

I took my civic in to the dealer for service. Before I handed over the keys, I noticed that the bumper had popped out a bit and I asked them to reseat it. Took a quick photo before I gave the car over.

When I got the car back, they told me the screw hole was cracked and that I needed a new bumper ($1200).

I noticed that the bumper looked slightly different...

What should I do?
Old 11-25-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bumper popped out, Dealer messed it up?

Before I handed over the keys, I noticed that the bumper had popped out a bit and I asked them to reseat it.
Just to be clear here, this was damaged PRIOR to your arrival at the dealership. You only noticed the damage once you got there and started looking.

The bumper cover needed replaced at that time.

The screwhole is already cracked in the first picture. The bumper cover cannot pop out past the screw without getting damaged. Period.

The dealer did NOT cause any more damage than the car arrived with when you asked them to "reseat it" (you may as well have asked for DuctTape).
It was already broke and needed replaced, now it is STILL broke and needs replaced.

I would have stated this and given you the replacement estimate prior to attempting to shove it back together.

The dealer owes you nothing. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nil. Not. Nada.

What should I do?
If you don't want to pay for the bumper cover, then you should be getting your insurance company involved.
Reread my first sentence.

$1200 seems a bit high.
Did they give an itemized estimate?
Suggest you visit a couple other bodyshops and get estimates.

Last edited by ezone; 11-25-2012 at 03:14 PM.