Cracked block early R18 Overheating Post Information, Questions and issues with the cracking block on the early R18 type engine here.

Block Issues

Old 11-17-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JuM0ra is an unknown quantity at this point
Block Issues

Can anyone tell me if Honda will honor their 'extended warranty' on their engine for the 2008 Honda Civic. I just had mine inspected by an outside party and he told me the block was cracked and that's why it is leaking coolant and overheating.
Old 11-17-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Block Issues

WHY haven't you gone to a Honda dealer yet?

EIGHT YEARS/UNLIMITED MILEAGE coverage for this in the USA.
Unless the car is salvage/totaled or blacklisted in the system, any dealer should take care of it.
Old 11-17-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/SEO/Ho...20RECALL%20IDS

Enter your VIN, see if it comes up with anything.
(I'm not sure if the block warranty extension will show up for YOU, because it isn't a true recall. It will show up in a dealers inquiry though.)
Old 11-21-2012
Registered!!

disapointed is an unknown quantity at this point

I promised Mr. Takanobu (President & CEO of Honda Corp) I'd let you all know that Honda does not stand behind their product. 2006 Honda Civics have a recall for cracked block....not for a cracked head. Same problem, different part. (Poor quality assurance.) So it's getting a new engine but the 3rd party warranty only covers a few days (not two weeks) of rental car. Honda feels NO RESPONSIBILITY for my 68,000 mile, meticulously mainted vehicle and thinks $30 per day for my rental car is too much for them to be accountable for. We've purchased 6 brand new Honda's over the years. There will be no more of that!
Old 11-21-2012

Originally Posted by disapointed
a cracked head.
Can this be proven?
Old 11-25-2012
Registered!!

D Murphy is an unknown quantity at this point

Honda does cover the cracked block for 8 years from the vehicle in service date. However, they do not cover damage caused by the continued use of the vehicle once the leak occurs. If you drive your car when it overheats, they deem that to be your negligence. If you take the car in when the leak is new and small, overheating shouldn't be an issue, thus the head would not be damaged.
Old 11-25-2012

Originally Posted by D Murphy
Honda does cover the cracked block for 8 years from the vehicle in service date. However, they do not cover damage caused by the continued use of the vehicle once the leak occurs. If you drive your car when it overheats, they deem that to be your negligence. If you take the car in when the leak is new and small, overheating shouldn't be an issue, thus the head would not be damaged.
If these people read the service info, it states to inspect the cylinder head AND they tell you how to check the ignition coils to see if they are reusable since they melt when the engine is run until it quits. I have replaced several cylinder heads and coils, and even put in hoses and a radiator with the engine job when necessary, all covered by the warranty extension on the engine block.
If the overheat started with the bad block, Honda (IMO) should cover the whole mess.

(If a moron mechanic put a warped head back on a new block and it fails soon after, that should be the shops' responsibility IMO. But good freeking luck proving that is what happened.)

We cannot expect every person on the road to be a mechanic nor have mechanical common sense, we cannot expect them to know what is going on under the hood or what damage they are doing when they continue driving in a bad situation. We cannot expect them to know what "warning signs" are.
Some people ONLY realize something is wrong when the car comes to a grinding halt and cannot move under its own power any longer.
See "Beating a dead horse".

In the post by "disapointed" (sic), I have a couple guesses as to what is going on there. My guesses should not be posted here based on only what info they provided above. That poster would need to post more technical info about the situation, and I think that isn't going to happen.

Last edited by ezone; 11-25-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-30-2012
Registered!!

ron350 is an unknown quantity at this point

Where are the blocks cracking on 2006 models?
Old 11-30-2012

Originally Posted by ron350
Where are the blocks cracking on 2006 models?
Search for "crack block" or similar on this site. Same as this post explains: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4583775

Pic of the areas on the front of the block in this thread:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...nternally.html

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4585421

On the back inside the oil separator area (no pic though the actual service info would have an example pic):
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4607241

HTH