Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 civic starting problem after cleaning.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wattsk69 is an unknown quantity at this point
98 civic starting problem after cleaning.

Hello all, newbie here but fairly regular on accord forum. My daughters 98 coupe automatic dx, with 202,000 miles, 16d7 I believe? Ran well till she asked me to check a sticky gas pedal problem. Tried lubricating spring and adjusting cable and that didnt work. Removed air box, hers sits on top of throttle body, and saw black buildup all around where the butterfly sits when closed. Sprayed carb cleaner, actual carb cleaner and not fuel injection cleaner, around that area and scrubbed with small head nylon detail brush. When clean I reassembled and tried to start. Would turn over but not start. Took airbox off and looked down throat below butterfly and realized I had lots of carbony carb spray sitting in the bottom like a pool. Shoved a clean rag down there and soaked up all the fluid. Since then I have removed fuel rail bolt,it has fuel, pulled a spark plug and checked for spark, it has great spark, tried starting fluid with no positive results at all. I have gotten it to run for about three second on one of my 30 attempts to start but most are just turning over. I figure its not getting air but I pulled the hoses off the bottom of the TBI below butterfly on outside and blew in them and they didnt seem clogged. Just dont know if I sucked gunky fluid in somewhere when I tried to start it. If anybody knows something you could save me from looking like a fool, this is daughters first car and she just got it and now its mucked up. Thanks for any help!!
Old 11-04-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 98 civic starting problem after cleaning.

See if the spark plugs are wet. Carb spray is just like flooding it.

Recheck for spark, but use a gap much larger than just a spark plug gap. Spark needs to be able to jump a gap of about 3/4 inch or more before I consider it to be "good".
Old 11-04-2012
Registered!!

wattsk69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the reply ezone. Will check tomorrow morning.
Old 11-08-2012
Registered!!

speedy25 is an unknown quantity at this point

You have really "flooded" the engine. Carb cleaner typically doesnt burn, so starting becomes VERY hard. Keep throttle wide open and crank for 10 second bursts until it starts. Keep throttle open until it clears out. Watch out for the BIG CLOUD out the exhaust.

-SP