Electronics Post information/questions/Issues about Electronic parts here.

Honda Civic Alarm(need to disable)

Old 10-31-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jdm2008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda Civic Alarm(need to disable)

The door lock on my honda civic is stuck locked. Subsequently I must enter through the trunk(with my key). However as soon as I start the car or open any door the alarm goes off.
The first thing I need to do is to disable the alarm? There is no fuse listed on the owners manual for the alarm fuse, so how do I disable the alarm?
Old 10-31-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Honda Civic Alarm(need to disable)

Alarm functions are built in to the Multiplex control unit (body computer).
No way to disable it until it is disarmed.
So you have to disarm it first.
If the car has a hood latch switch, then you can wire it so it thinks the hood is open all the time, that will disable the alarm on most of the cars.

ASSuming the car is an 08 with factory antitheft, you probably need to use the remote or twist the key in the drivers door lock to disarm it.

You could get a wiring diagram and figure out which wires to jump to fake the action of the door being unlocked with the key and that might disarm it if you can get it right. Maybe.

Do it right: That's going to mean fixing the door lock. (Don't you think climbing through the trunk is a little inconvenient? I don't think it impresses dates either.)
Probably a screwed up lock cylinder......You will need a dealer to retumble the lock cylinder, and most lock shops don't have the tumblers for sidewinder locks ("dealer only" in my town, and I'm the only person that does them here).

Dealer should have a kit with new barrels and tumblers for these locks.
The person answering the phone may have zero clues about this, so you may need to talk to a tech that has been around a while.
You may need to show them this bulletin. This bulletin applies to all Hondas with sidewinder style locks: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/hy..._door_lock.pdf

HTH
Old 10-31-2012
Registered!!

jdm2008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
If the car has a hood latch switch, then you can wire it so it thinks the hood is open all the time, that will disable the alarm on most of the cars.

ASSuming the car is an 08 with factory antitheft, you probably need to use the remote or twist the key in the drivers door lock to disarm it.

You could get a wiring diagram and figure out which wires to jump to fake the action of the door being unlocked with the key and that might disarm it if you can get it right. Maybe.

Do it right: That's going to mean fixing the door lock. (Don't you think climbing through the trunk is a little inconvenient? I don't think it impresses dates either.)
Probably a screwed
The person answering the phone may have zero clues about this, so you may need to talk to a tech that has b up lock cylinder......You will need a dealer to retumble the lock cylinder, and most lock shops don't have the tumblers for sidewinder locks ("dealer only" in my town, and I'm the only person that does them here).
een around a while.
You may need to show them this bulletin. This bulletin applies to all Hondas with sidewinder style locks: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/hy..._door_lock.pdf

HTH
I am definitely going to fix this right. No doubt about that. Though I am hoping for a temporary solution, because most everything is closed for a few days because of the hurricane(I'm on Long Island). There is no way climbing through the trunk is going to be a permanent solution hahaha.
Old 12-19-2012
Registered!!

andrickjm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone

Probably a screwed up lock cylinder......You will need a dealer to retumble the lock cylinder, and most lock shops don't have the tumblers for sidewinder locks ("dealer only" in my town, and I'm the only person that does them here).

The person answering the phone may have zero clues about this, so you may need to talk to a tech that has been around a while.

HTH
Hi

I have run into the problem of my factory alarm going off randomly without reason. It sometimes goes off at the middle of the night, sometimes during the day, some 5 minutes after locking and some 8 hours after. There is not a pattern.

I have unplugged the hood latch switch as well as the trunk one to test, but it still goes off. So it led me think its one of the doors.

In the meantime, while I find the time to go to Honda I need to stop the car from annoying me and all the neighbors. Would you describe how to wire the hood latch switch so it will think its always open? I am new to this

Its a 2008 civic coupe EX
Old 12-19-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrickjm
I have unplugged the hood latch switch as well as the trunk one to test, but it still goes off.
If the alarm still arms with the hood switch unplugged, try connecting the 2 pins of the wire harness plug using a small jumper wire. See if it still arms with that in place.

The hood switch is only a simple on/off switch: Open or closed circuit.

Make sure you don't have a key/fob problem causing it.

Didn't see any bulletins about the alarms going off, but I did find an article explaining how a tech is supposed to use our HDS scanner to find what item caused the last few alarm events (security breach history data) so we can figure out what set off the alarm.

Sadly, many techs aren't going to be aware of these features. Good luck.
HTH
Old 12-19-2012
Registered!!

Thanks, I'll try that today.

I took it to a tech in town and he used a scanner to read what was on the security page, he did not find anything. Although not sure if he was using an official HDS scanner, or just any other that can read this thing (maybe the one he used was not official and could not access all the features appropietely), nor if he looked where it was supposed to.

I am positive its not a key/fob problem because it still goes off if I leave the car in the parking lot at work. No way the key/fob was in range, and the security guard told me the alarm was going off all morning.

Dont think its the car battery either, as it is new.

Hopefully this would work to shut it up. Sounds madly loud, drives everyone crazy lol

Thank you.
Old 12-19-2012

I took it to a tech in town and he used a scanner to read what was on the security page, he did not find anything. Although not sure if he was using an official HDS scanner, or just any other that can read this thing (maybe the one he used was not official and could not access all the features appropietely), nor if he looked where it was supposed to.
Just to touch on this subject:
The only scanner I KNOW will access the necessary data is a factory HDS program.
Few aftermarket units, if any, will access all available data from the body systems.
I really don't know what brands or units will or won't have access to it, because I have factory tooling available for these cars.
Most aftermarket scantools are crippled in some way.
The vast majority only access engine and transmission data, and better ones would get ABS and SRS data.
When it comes to car scantools and equipment, more data access costs more money. Data access costs...Period.
A tech or a shop probably has to be VERY Honda centered in order to justify the expense of factory tooling.

FWIW, the engineers get even more data and functions in their scan equipment, but much of what they have access to is stuff that ordinary techs in the repair field would never have a need for.

HTH
Old 12-20-2012
Registered!!

Thank you. You have been very helpful.

I used a little wire to loop the conector of the hood switch so the circuit was closed, and now the alarm doesnt arm anymore.

I called my Honda dealer, and they dont have space on their workshop until January.

Your fix will work until next year so I can sleep in peace without getting woken up in the middle of the night by a horn honking in my garage.

Thanks a lot.
Old 12-20-2012

I called my Honda dealer, and they dont have space on their workshop until January.
By that time, any data that was saved in the computers may be long gone. (I don't know that for certain). I wouldn't want to waste a trip, so I would say to reconnect the hood switch and let the alarm go off a couple times by itself before you visit the dealer. You know, make sure there is good data for them to find and use.

Then when you go in, make sure to mention about the "security breach history data" under the "body control systems" section of the HDS scanner.
Old 03-29-2023
Registered!!

gregor5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdm2008
The door lock on my honda civic is stuck locked. Subsequently I must enter through the trunk(with my key). However as soon as I start the car or open any door the alarm goes off.
The first thing I need to do is to disable the alarm? There is no fuse listed on the owners manual for the alarm fuse, so how do I disable the alarm?
remove a battery from a key fob,

worked for me so I can drive without making any noise or hazard lights on however alarm still goes off while any of side doors gets opened