Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Loss of Engine Power - 2012 Honda Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
esurfer is an unknown quantity at this point
Loss of Engine Power - 2012 Honda Civic EX

Problem with 2012 Honda Civic EX – Loss of Engine Power

We purchase a new 2012 Honda Civic EX in August 2012 from Pickering Honda in Pickering Ontario. We have now driven about 4,500 km. (as at October 17, 2012)

The engine seems to loose power periodically, several times a week, when we have slowed down, either to make a turn or in heavy traffic. This only happens for a few seconds, and then the engine responses when the gas pedal is pressed.

Further description of this problem.
1) When I am making a left hand turn, for example, waiting for some traffic to pass, upon trying to accelerate, the engine does not respond immediately. There appears to be a lag in response when the gas pedal is pushed. It is like the engine goes into neutral. The car does not stall, but feels like the engine has been let go from the rest of the car.

2) While in heavy stop and go traffic, the car will not always respond immediately. There is a hesitation, and after several seconds, then the engine recognizes the gas pedal was pushed on. The car will then react and accelerate. In some cases, I have pushed the gas pedal to the floor with no immediate response. A second or two later, the car will respond. With winter coming I have to be careful not to cause the car to go into a spin.

Shortly after purchasing this car, this problem was brought to the attention of the Dealer. A mechanic took it out for a test drive, but did not notice any problem. The sales manager stated he has not heard of this problem before. No further action is planned by the dealer.

I must point out that this problem occurs only several times a week, particularly when coming to a stop and then go scenario. In these instances, it is difficult to diagnose by a technician. I would have expected the dealer to have more interest in this problem.

Can anyone help in diagnosing this problem? What should I do? This is a new car!
Old 10-18-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Loss of Engine Power - 2012 Honda Civic EX

You are driving with 2 feet.
Stop it.
The car won't allow you to drive that way.

Drive with ONE foot from here on out, your complaint will be gone.

HTH
Old 10-19-2012
CMH
Registered!!

CMH is an unknown quantity at this point

This happens to us as well. No the two-foot thing is not an issue. I believe that there is a fault in the system so that even when the brake pedal is not being pressed, there is a lag before the accelerator responds. Interestingly enough, on another forum, instances of extreme acceleration when the brake pedal is depressed have also been noted. Seems consistent with a fault in the system.
Old 10-09-2018
Registered!!

boca202 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use to have the same poor acceleration, I changed my spark plugs and everything changed, got my acceleration back and my mpg improved almost 3 mpg

Last edited by boca202; 10-10-2018 at 07:12 AM. Reason: correction