Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2012 civic ex-l nav system and other screens not bright enough when I start the car..

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amalheiro is an unknown quantity at this point
2012 civic ex-l nav system and other screens not bright enough when I start the car..

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a new civic. Love it so far. I noticed the past 2 days that when I start the car, the brightness on the multiple screens in the vehicle (screen that shows mph/kmh, screen that shows what radio station im listening too and the navigation screen are not bright enough. It's impossible to see anything on the nav screen.

After driving a while, it will light up to where I can see everything perfectly. Now I'm assuming it's a setting I have to adjust but.. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this. I've tried reading the manual, and I think I must have passed over it without realizing.

Anyone know how to make it so all 3 screens light up with more brightness when I start the car?
Old 10-16-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2012 civic ex-l nav system and other screens not bright enough when I start the c

Start with:

1) Get out the owners manuals and start reading about how to operate all that stuff on the dash.

2) Find the **** sticking out of the lower gauge pod that adjusts the dash lights, and start twisting it. You can adjust it to one setting with the lights off for daytime use, and then turn the headlights on and adjust it again for how bright you want them at night.

Most of the NAVI units have a ton of settings just for itself. Explore. (Read the f'n manual.)

3) Go to the salesmaggot you bought it from and make them show you how to work your car. (I bet he can't.)

BUT since you said this "After driving a while, it will light up to where I can see everything perfectly" Tells me maybe 2 things.....

You MIGHT have a real problem there. While you are with the salesmaggot and you figure out the car really has a problem, go to the service department and SHOW THEM what it is doing. Do not just talk about it, SHOW THEM. I'm dead serious.

Another thing: If you have auto-headlights on, they may keep the dash dimmed as long as it has the headlights turned on (or thinks the headlights need to be on). Some people don't like how bright or dark it is outside when the car wants to turn the headlights on automatically.

And if the sun is shining directly on a screen, forget it. You ain't gonna see a dang thing.

HTH