Exterior Post your issues with Exterior parts here! Exterior covers Body, Doors, Locks, Physical Removal/install lights, Hoods, fenders, etc. For Fundamentally Electrical issues, post on Electrical

sunroof drain tubes - best way to unclog?

Old 10-07-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BahstonCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
sunroof drain tubes - best way to unclog?

I've found the root cause of wet carpet & damp headliner. Although there was a foreign object interfering with the sunroof gasket, it seems the real problem is, both front drain tubes were clogged. I pushed in a length of 20 gauge copper wire into each, as far as it would go. The good news is, the right-hand drain is now working; I can pour some water in the gutter, and it empties out behind the inner fender.

The bad news - the left-hand drain is still clogged. I would appreciate any advice on how to clear without making the problem worse. I could blow compressed air in from the gutter inlet, use a larger / stiffer wire, or ...

I also notice in this parts list that there's a 'valve' at the bottom of the drain tube. Maybe that's the problem, and if so, hints on how to get at it? Looks like it may be hiding behind that inner fender.

Glad to have the collected wisdom of this forum available to help, and thanks!
Old 10-07-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: sunroof drain tubes - best way to unclog?

OOooo....This isn't really explained well on the web service info.
IF they really are a sort of check valve, then they would be there to let water drain out freely but not allow wind to blow up the tubes while driving down the road. Intended to allow water to pass through, not leaves, acorns, pine needles, and LEGOs. (Yes, I've found LEGOs stuck in a sunroof.)
Older cars just had open tubes, no "valves" that I was aware of.

The drain tubes follow the "A" and "C" pillars. They end at the kick panel areas in front, and behind the wheelwells in back. Appears that the "valves" stick through the metal inner fender areas to the outside of the body.

You may have to actually take stuff apart to get them cleaned out. If there is debris blocking them, I doubt that forcing compressed air will help if they are really check valves. You may even blow the soft rubber tubing off of the rigid plastic tubing and have bigger problems.
Though if they are only plain tubes, I'd go for the compressed air first.

Or find the tubing connections at the kick panel, take them apart, and blow air each direction from that point.

If you can find the ends of the drains on the outside of the car, you could try shooting compressed air from that end. Whatever debris is in there COULD end up inside the roof, sunroof, or the interior of the car.

HTH
Old 05-25-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mbz220s is an unknown quantity at this point

How to unclog drain tubes -- First purchase a older vehicle speedometer repair kit for speedometer cable.Autozone kit for 1975 dodge w200 has 120 inch cable.it is flexible enough to go through all tight spots.Rotate it like a plumbers snake or use a slow speed drill motor.
Old 06-15-2021
Registered!!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
123Krash is an unknown quantity at this point

The problem I found was in the rear, remove trunk trim panels, the drain hose is a clear tube that connects to the valve (if you want to call it that), a rubber piece with a duckbill that allows water to drain pretty freely but will close together and not let water or air back in .it's located just above and ahead of that flap/air oneway vent. The problem with trying to force a wire down from the top it it will not make the tight 90 degree turn at the end, and if you blow compressed air the drain hone fit to the valve part is loose and the air will escape there..
I pulled the valve and it was plugged with stuff..This seem's to be why I have water in the trunk, , cleaned and it drains now.waiting for a big rain storm to test...

The real problem is the seal/gasket on the sunroof is shot from exposure to the sun and elements.. Sad thing is Honda does not sell the seal, although it looks like it would be removeable/replaceable, you have to buy the Glass with seal.