Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Motor mount vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aztony is an unknown quantity at this point
Motor mount vibration

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem? I was getting a very noisy vibration on my 2008 Civic EX. I had a local repair shop look at it and they diagnosed it as being caused by the motor mounts settling and picking up the vibration from the engine. The shop lifted the engine a bit, I assume to resettle the mounts in a different orientation. The vibration isn't as loud as it was but it is still there. I find it particularly disturbing to have an engine mount problem on a 4 year old Civic with only 84,000 miles on it, 95% of those miles are highway miles. I seem to remember reading about a recall on 2006 & 2007 Civics for motor mounts but nothing on '08'.
Old 10-03-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Motor mount vibration

I looked at 2 last week.
Both around 70k IIRC.
Can't remember if 07 or 08, I'm thinking one of each.
One got replaced, the other just got an estimate.
Only the mount on the passengers side needs replaced.

One bulletin applies to some 06 and 07s.

If yours is bad, it really doesn't matter if there is a bulletin about it. It is still bad.

Look at the pics in this post for more details.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4577741

Other people have posted about 08's too, read up:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...erse-gear.html

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ing-noise.html

HTH
Old 10-03-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

most front motor mounts on the 01-05 civics barely lasted 10k miles before cracking. if you see the mount design, youll understand why. this has been a problem in almost every line of honda car. put some poly inserts in and call it a day. it may vibrate a tad more, but at least you will have a nice mount that will not fall apart again.
Old 10-03-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gearbox
most front motor mounts on the 01-05 civics barely lasted 10k miles before cracking. if you see the mount design, youll understand why. this has been a problem in almost every line of honda car. put some poly inserts in and call it a day. it may vibrate a tad more, but at least you will have a nice mount that will not fall apart again.
Did you post this on the wrong thread? This is about an 08, not the 7th gen below. LOL

Erase this if you move your reply so it doesn't look out of place.
Old 10-04-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i had a point, that the new civics have the same faulty mount design honda has used for more than 20 yrs. well maybe not faulty, but just poor. I know they need to isolate vibration as much as possible so joe blow doesnt bring the car back and complain its not comfortable, but that is the tradeoff you get with a skinny floating mount that is half air with a couple flimsy rubber legs. not to mention rubber is one of the worst materials you can use on anything for a car.
Old 10-04-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I looked at 2 last week.
Both around 70k IIRC.
Can't remember if 07 or 08, I'm thinking one of each.
One got replaced, the other just got an estimate.
Only the mount on the passengers side needs replaced.

One bulletin applies to some 06 and 07s.

If yours is bad, it really doesn't matter if there is a bulletin about it. It is still bad.

Look at the pics in this post for more details.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4577741

Other people have posted about 08's too, read up:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...erse-gear.html

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ing-noise.html

HTH
Thanks for the info. You said "only the passenger side mount needs to be replaced". The repair shop says none of the mounts are broken but if I wanted to put in new ones, they suggest doing all of them at the same time, at a cost of $700. I saw someone post in the other thread that replacing the mounts is easy to do yourself. What's your opinion?

The reason I mentioned about any bulletins being out on this issue is I wanted to know if Honda will cover the repair.
Old 10-04-2012
Registered!!

Did you post this on the wrong thread? This is about an 08, not the 7th gen below. LOL

Erase this if you move your reply so it doesn't look out of place.
I think the point Gearbox was making is that Honda has a chronic problem dealing with the motor mounts in a lot of model years.

I just wanted to add that this is the first forum that I've been too that places the most recent posts first.
Old 10-04-2012

Originally Posted by aztony

I just wanted to add that this is the first forum that I've been too that places the most recent posts first.
You can change that in your preferences, under the USER C.P. button.

Thanks for the info. You said "only the passenger side mount needs to be replaced". The repair shop says none of the mounts are broken but if I wanted to put in new ones, they suggest doing all of them at the same time, at a cost of $700. I saw someone post in the other thread that replacing the mounts is easy to do yourself.

The reason I mentioned about any bulletins being out on this issue is I wanted to know if Honda will cover the repair.

What's your opinion?
You really don't want to hear that from me. You'll get your feelings hurt.

You are OUT of warranty.
Honda does not own the car.
You own the car and all the problems that go with it.
Just because there is a bulletin does not mean that it would be a warranty matter. It is for information only.
It is NOT a recall or campaign.
If you actually read the bulletin, it states:
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
The normal warranty applies.

Anyway....

Both mounts? No.
I know why someone else would say "both" though.

If you REALLY feel the need to spend a crapton of coin on all the mounts, feel free. I'm sure someone will gladly take all of your money.
I think it is a freekin' waste.
I get paid to fix problems, not rape customers.

The mount that is the real problem is the one I already told you needs replaced.

Yes, it can be a DIY if you have just a little bit of talent. (Everything is DIY to me though.)
10, 14, 17, 19mm stuff, mostly sockets and the like.....and a floor jack to lift/hold the engine up. A little bit of muscle. Maybe a prybar.

Once it is out of the car, I bet you will find it is visibly cracked open in the area on top of the rubber. Turn it upside down and glycerine may run out of the crack if it is big enough.

The other mount on the top of the trans is not a known problem area. I see no point in replacing good parts. I haven't replaced that mount yet on any of the cars I see.

HTH
Old 10-05-2012
Registered!!

You can change that in your preferences, under the USER C.P. button.

You really don't want to hear that from me. You'll get your feelings hurt.

You are OUT of warranty.
Honda does not own the car.
You own the car and all the problems that go with it.
Just because there is a bulletin does not mean that it would be a warranty matter. It is for information only.
It is NOT a recall or campaign.
If you actually read the bulletin, it states:
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
The normal warranty applies.

Anyway....

Both mounts? No.
I know why someone else would say "both" though.

If you REALLY feel the need to spend a crapton of coin on all the mounts, feel free. I'm sure someone will gladly take all of your money.
I think it is a freekin' waste.
I get paid to fix problems, not rape customers.

The mount that is the real problem is the one I already told you needs replaced.

Yes, it can be a DIY if you have just a little bit of talent. (Everything is DIY to me though.)
10, 14, 17, 19mm stuff, mostly sockets and the like.....and a floor jack to lift/hold the engine up. A little bit of muscle. Maybe a prybar.

Once it is out of the car, I bet you will find it is visibly cracked open in the area on top of the rubber. Turn it upside down and glycerine may run out of the crack if it is big enough.

The other mount on the top of the trans is not a known problem area. I see no point in replacing good parts. I haven't replaced that mount yet on any of the cars I see.

HTH
Thank you for sharing your expertise on this problem, I appreciate it. I didn't fully understand what the bulletins entailed. I thought it might have something to do with a recall.
Old 10-18-2012
Registered!!

Greaseman is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the exact same problem in my 2007 Civic. There are pictures on one of the forums on this website of a bad passenger side engine mount vs. a picture of a good mount. Mine looked exactly like the bad one. I have never owned a Honda prior to this one, but I thought it looked pretty simple. I ordered the passenger mount only from Advance for $105 (there were kits for around $149 that include the dog bone as well). While waiting for the part to arrive, I pulled into the local Honda dealer to see if a technician could simply walk 10 ft out the door and merely glance at the mount to tell me if it was bad. He explained that he could not do it, but I could pay $85 for a diagnostics test. Seems pretty ridiculous to me, but it is probably Honda protocol. He then quoted me a new mount for $249. No thank you, I'm good. The day after the part arrived, I replaced it in an hour's time. Problem Fixed. There really was not a lot to the whole process.

Materials:
Floor Jack and piece of wood
14mm, 17mm, 19mm sockets (I may have left one out, someone correct me if I did)
Breaker Bar (Or some metal pipe)
A combination of a couple of extensions

I took the upper dogbone off, and then I rolled the jack under the engine with a thin piece of wood on the jack plate. I jacked the jack right up against the engine. Just be sure not to jack the engine too much, just enough for a little support. Disassemble engine mount. I had to use a little creative manipulation of hoses and a ground wire to get the mounts out and in. Reverse actions to replace the new one. I had to gently raise and lower the jack a couple of times as I tightened the new down in order to get the engine into its original position.

I may have left some points out, and someone can add to or correct me if I'm wrong. It is much cheaper to replace the part on your own. The part I ordered has a 3 year warranty and feels sturdier than the original. Good luck. I hope its an easy fix.
Old 10-22-2012
Registered!!

Bill Clinton is an unknown quantity at this point

I have this problem as well on my 08 LXi.

Can someone please tell me what kind of "talent" is required for a DYI for the passenger side engine mount? I am a total noob when it comes to cars and really can't spend money to fix this.

And if this was left unattended what will be the damage?
Old 10-23-2012
Registered!!

D Murphy is an unknown quantity at this point

The description by Greaseman is pretty good.
Old 11-28-2012
Registered!!

I had the right side motor mount replaced by a family friend that does mechanic work. The only problem he had was one of the main bolts would not tighten all the way down. He tried everything he could think of but nothing worked. He tried exchanging each bolt with each other just in case one was threaded differently or specifically for that hole. Anyone else run into this problem or have an idea on what is causing it?

The car is back to it's normal quietness so far. I purchased the motor mount(s) from EB for under $50 each. Only had the right side replaced because the friend didn't have time to do both and the left side looked a bit more complicated to get too.
Old 11-28-2012

I had the right side motor mount replaced by a family friend that does mechanic work. The only problem he had was one of the main bolts would not tighten all the way down. He tried everything he could think of but nothing worked. He tried exchanging each bolt with each other just in case one was threaded differently or specifically for that hole. Anyone else run into this problem or have an idea on what is causing it?
Aftermarket parts, almost fit.
Or threads galled in the aluminum?

The car is back to it's normal quietness so far. I purchased the motor mount(s) from EB for under $50 each.
What's an EB?

Only had the right side replaced because the friend didn't have time to do both and the left side looked a bit more complicated to get too.
The right side mount is the only one I have seen issues with so far.
Old 11-29-2012
Registered!!

Aftermarket parts, almost fit.
Or threads galled in the aluminum?

What's an EB?

The right side mount is the only one I have seen issues with so far.
Hmm, never thought it might be the part itself causing the problem. I'll have to contact the company I bought it from. What do you mean galled in the aluminum? Sorry but I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to mechanics.

EB = Ebay

I figured since I was having the one side replaced, I might as well do both at the same time. That didn't go as expected but on the other hand, if the left side does go, I have the part.
Old 11-29-2012

Hmm, never thought it might be the part itself causing the problem. I'll have to contact the company I bought it from.
You better figure out what the problem is before you contact the company. I just threw "aftermarket" as a possibility.

What do you mean galled in the aluminum? Sorry but I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to mechanics.
Damaged threads. It's when 2 dissimilar metals fuse together due to galvanic corrosion. Common between aluminum and steels.

http://www.fastenal.com/content/feds...%20Galling.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galling

The only problem he had was one of the main bolts would not tighten all the way down.
Can you post a pic of this?
Old 11-30-2012
Registered!!

You better figure out what the problem is before you contact the company. I just threw "aftermarket" as a possibility.

Damaged threads. It's when 2 dissimilar metals fuse together due to galvanic corrosion. Common between aluminum and steels.

http://www.fastenal.com/content/feds...%20Galling.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galling

Can you post a pic of this?
Your suggestion that it could be it's a defect with the part is a more likely cause then anything else.

As for corrosion, I live in Arizona, I doubt corrosion would be an issue.

I'll see if I can take a picture where the problem is visible without taking things apart.
Old 11-30-2012

As for corrosion, I live in Arizona, I doubt corrosion would be an issue.
I didn't say "corrosion".
I said "galvanic corrosion". (That might not be the right name either....)
Galvanic corrosion doesn't care where you live.
Weather has nothing to do with it.
I bet you didn't read or understand the info in the links.

I'll see if I can take a picture where the problem is visible without taking things apart.
Pic of you pointing out which fastener is the problem?