Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Smoke from driver console

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arai636 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smoke from driver console

So this is my first time posting on this message board. I was wondering if anyone could help with my current problem since i JUST had my car in the Honda dealership to relpace my A/C condensor from something punturing it! I have a 2007 civic LX coupe if that helps.

So, i was driving today with no A/C on, windows down, prob 80+ degree heat and all of a sudden a quick cloud of smoke came from under my steering wheel/dashboard area. Simultaneously, my tach, engine temp, and maybe some other things dropped or turned off and then went back to normal (maybe 2-3 seconds). I pulled over, no fire or anything looking burnt from what i could see (im assuming something electrical short circuited). Now my door icon wont turn off on the dash and OEM lock button wont work, but it will unlock. Who knows what else wont work!! I called Honda, guy was a dick, wants me to spend the $135 to diagnose and prob hundreds more to fix it when it was just in! I have 54k miles on the car....shouldnt b happening. Any suggestions/ideas or should i take it in??
Old 08-16-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoke from driver console

unfortunately cloud of smoke is a bad sign. means wiring probably got fried not a fuse. will be hard to figure out.
Old 08-16-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

MICU unit ??

Did it have an electrical type smell ??
Old 08-16-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arai636 is an unknown quantity at this point

So i took it in anyways since im going back to school soon. Ends up that some dealerships put in cheap *** aftermarket alarms that sometimes dont even get activated because the buyer doesnt want to pay for them. Ive read in some posts and now it makes sense that those alarms end up fowling up the ignition and the cars wont start! In my case, it just fried.

Now the technician is worried about my $700 multiplex unit that might have an issue because of this cheap $20 alarm. I dont know what else can be done about this as far as complaining to Honda, but thats B.S. This crap ends up costing anywhere from $300-1k just to replace parts from the cause of a part no one wants! Thanks for the help anyways everyone!
Old 08-16-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

just tell them to take the alarm out completely. and then fix the multiplex unit if you are still having random things not working. they should pay for it since you have proof their alarm caused the problem.