Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

07 civic lx shuts down when slowing down

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sammi46 is an unknown quantity at this point
07 civic lx shuts down when slowing down

I have a 2007 civic lx that shuts off when slowing down. It does not happen all the time but has been a lot lately. When it shuts off the brakes lock up and steering wheel locks up. Almost every time it will start right back up. At the same time I had a code P0171 come up for an o2 sensor. I have replaced that thinking it could be the problem and it still shuts off. I do not know much about cars but I do not want to bring it to multiple different places and have everyone tell me its something different. The problem also came right after putting a sub and amp in the car. I disconnected the sub and amp thinking that could be the problem but it still shuts down. I have however turned everything in the car on and disconnected the battery to see if the alternator would still run it all and it did. Any suggestions, pleaseee its making me go crazyyy!
Old 07-07-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 07 civic lx shuts down when slowing down

the brakes lock up and steering wheel locks up.
No, they don't.
You only lose the power assist. You can still steer and brake.

P0171 come up for an o2 sensor. I have replaced that
That code does NOT say replace the O2 sensor.
You ever bother to look up a definition for that particular code?
What was that definition?

I hope you didn't throw away the old one, you may need it.

I do not know much about cars
Noted already.

but I do not want to bring it to multiple different places and have everyone tell me its something different.
Then don't be a floater.
Find a shop that has competent employees that you can trust, a shop that has spent plenty of money on tooling and equipment, and stick with them.

NOTE: Much of the stuff that is controlled by electronics on modern cars needs a dealer level scanner to do anything with. Lots of stuff that the average shop just can't touch anymore. Don't get me wrong, there is still plenty that they can still do. But be prepared to visit a dealer from time to time.

The problem also came right after putting a sub and amp in the car.
May or may not be related. What else did you touch?

and disconnected the battery to see if the alternator would still run it all
Don't ever do that again.
Seriously, you can burn up a LOT of electronics in the car by doing that.
The battery acts as a huge capacitor. If you take it out of circuit, there is nothing to absorb voltage spikes.

Any suggestions, pleaseee its making me go crazyyy!
Low hanging fruit: Pull the air breather box lid off. See if the air filter is in place, undamaged, and correctly installed. Then remove the MAF sensor and see if it has caught a bug.

If nothing there....
You admit you don't know much about cars. Just take it to someone that does, before you hurt something.

HTH
Old 07-07-2012
Registered!!

As far as brakes and steering goes, they do lock up. I cannot turn the wheel and the brakes do not work. The ebrake works and that is the only way to stop. I did not touch anything with the wiring of the sub and amp. They ran the wire straight from the battery to the amp and did a converter on the back speaker. I will be bringing it to a Honda dealer later today.
Old 07-07-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta nit-pick this:
Originally Posted by sammi46
As far as brakes and steering goes, they do lock up. I cannot turn the wheel and the brakes do not work.
Again, that is incorrect.
FYI.
After the power assist disappears, they are still operable manually.
It just takes some muscle to work them.
Always and forever.
You can control the car all the way to the side of the road as long as it keeps rolling, you don't have to abandon it in the middle of the lane.

I will be bringing it to a Honda dealer later today.
Good idea, hopefully they give your car to someone that should be able to figure out your problems. Not the flunky oil changer kid.

You are someplace where dealers are open past noon on a Saturday? Ugh.
The only thing you can get here on Saturday is oil changes and rotate tires.
No real work that takes more than 2 brain cells.
Old 07-07-2012

Oh yeah, take in your old O2 sensor, just in case it is still needed.

Cheapo aftermarket parts can cause more problems than they solve.
Old 07-07-2012
Registered!!

the new o2 sensor was bought from the honda dealership. but yes theres 2 honda dealerships open til 5pm here today. well service is open until 5pm and closed tomorrow. so hopefully they can get it in. thank you
Old 07-08-2012
Registered!!

lefty976 is an unknown quantity at this point

Please let us know what Honda found.