Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

07 civic LX cruise won't remain engaged

Old 06-23-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BudH is an unknown quantity at this point
07 civic LX cruise won't remain engaged

2007 Civic LX cruise control won't stay engaged. Dash cruise control light illuminates when cruise button on wheel is depressed, but turns off when button is released. All cruise control functions work properly providing cruise button is maintained depressed. What component has failed?
Old 06-23-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 07 civic LX cruise won't remain engaged

Originally Posted by BudH
work properly providing cruise button is maintained depressed. What component has failed?

You have to hold down the ON/OFF switch?
Easy.
Replace the switch set on the steering wheel.

Or is it a different switch button you have to hold in?

Go here, pick out YOUR exact car. Pick "steering wheel" from the list, the cruise switch set is part #1 (IF I got the car right).

HTH
----------------------------------------------

LOL@ Depressed button.
Needs Prozac?
Mock it, call it a failure and tell it that its mother hates it.
Make the button suicidal.
Old 06-23-2012
Registered!!

Cruise button on wheel is the only "switch". So is it the cruise button that maintains the cruise control "enabled" and the dash light on (as opposed to a latch-in logic in the cruise control circuity)?
Old 06-23-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Cruise button on wheel is the only "switch".
There are 4 switches. ("Momentary ON" counts as a switch in electronics.)
Main, set, resume, and cancel. 4 switches, 3 buttons.
The main (the ON/OFF button that clicks, I don't remember the label on the button at the moment) is the only one that physically latches in a high/low position.

So is it the cruise button that maintains the cruise control "enabled" and the dash light on (as opposed to a latch-in logic in the cruise control circuity)?
Um, yeah...

You got 2 lights on the dash.
One is connected to the main power switch.
The other light is controlled by the PCM and comes on when the cruise is actually in use.

All cruise control functions are built into the PCM, the buttons you see on the steering wheel are the only external components. No separate actuator, no separate control unit.

HTH
Old 06-23-2012
Registered!!

Thanks for the help. The first note had "Go here, pick out YOUR exact car." What site or URL does "here" refer to?
Old 06-23-2012

Thanks for the help. The first note had "Go here, pick out YOUR exact car." What site or URL does "here" refer to?
Sorry about that.....
It's a link fail, because I'm an idiot.

Try this one:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/
Old 07-12-2012
ChicagoLaw

drcampb2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys, new to the forum. My 2007 Civic LX has a cruise control/horn issue too. While my lights come on for the cruise when engaged, the actual cruise control won't work. Any thoughts??? Also, the horn isn't working, but I think I am taking that as a sign from GOD to get a better horn. I have a forced induction t3 turbo in my 2-door coupe.

In an unrelated issue, does anyone know a good solution to fixing a power steering reservoir leak?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 07-12-2012

Originally Posted by drcampb2
my lights come on for the cruise when engaged, the actual cruise control won't work.

One light for the main switch, the other light for actual operation of the cruise while in use: BOTH lights come on? Or just one?

PS leak: You sure it's the reservoir, not the pump?
Old 07-12-2012
ChicagoLaw

Only one light (the main switch) comes on. It could be the pump...but it is a very slow leak on the power steering. I have to refill it at least every oil change, but more frequently lately. The second button you hit to actually engage the cruise is the one I am having issues with and I don't think that light comes on...but I'm at work and can't check right now.
Old 07-12-2012

I wondered,
.but it is a very slow leak on the power steering
The reservoir is a hunk of plastic. Just because it goes empty does not mean that is where the leak is. Explain properly so the rest of us understand.

You just need to figure out where the leak really is, then address it properly..

See what the cruise lights do when you go home.
Can you operate a DVOM?
Do you have a high-dollar scanner? (Cruise is operated through the PCM, much info can be gleaned from a good data list.)
Old 07-12-2012
ChicagoLaw

I can use a DVOM and my buddy has a really high dollar scanner. I'll have to figure out exactly where the leak is coming from. Since I have a forced induction turbo, we replaced the plastic reservoir with an aluminum alloy canister.
Old 07-12-2012

Originally Posted by drcampb2
Since I have a forced induction turbo, we replaced the plastic reservoir with an aluminum alloy canister.
Why?
I hope it was for looks only.
Put the old reservoir back on and see if that was the leak?
Have you crawled around under the car to LOOK for leaks yet?

my buddy has a really high dollar scanner
I go about diagnosing things differently from most people, because I have many tools at my disposal.
I grab the scanner first if there is ANY chance it will help or speed things up. I LOVE to diagnose from the comfort of the drivers seat whenever possible.

A good datalist would show the status of each of the buttons on the steering wheel, you can operate them and watch the status change as you do. I'm guessing the PCM either has disabled the cruise functions for some reason (CODES?), or it sees no input from the SET switch to begin cruise functions.

Check status of:
CODES--first step!
Brake switch-- be aware there are TWO sets of contacts in that switch--if misadjusted, it may kill the cruise but not turn on the brake lights.
Clutch switch or trans range switch
Switch functions as seen by the PCM

Horn, may or may not be related; its relay is built in to the MICU but it shares wiring.

If you have a great wiring diagram, you could do testing on the steering wheel switches, and the cable reel, if there are no switch inputs seen on the PCM datalist.

Wait, you're running a turbo?
On the original PCM, or aftermarket?
Has the cruise EVER worked with this setup?
Old 09-19-2014
Registered!!

barryaz1 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=ezone;4607094]You have to hold down the ON/OFF switch?
Easy.
Replace the switch set on the steering wheel.

Or is it a different switch button you have to hold in?

Go http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...SRS%29+%281%29, pick out YOUR exact car. Pick "steering wheel" from the list, the cruise switch set is part #1 (IF I got the car right).

Can someone point me to the directions for replacing the cruise control switch? Thanks.
Old 09-19-2014

Originally Posted by barryaz1

Can someone point me to the directions for replacing the cruise control switch? Thanks.
Remove airbag from the steering wheel,

There are screws that go into the plastic trim from the back of the steering wheel, I have found it easier (for myself) to just take the whole steering wheel out of the car and tear it apart on the workbench.....but it can be done while mounted in the car.

unplug clockspring connector(s) for the cruise and radio switches if equipped,
remove screws for plastic trim --(pics show 4 from the front, 4 from the rear)
remove trim,

remove switch sets (5 more screws were shown in the pic for radio and cruise switch sets)

HTH
Old 09-21-2014
Registered!!

barryaz1 is an unknown quantity at this point

My high-tech, low cost fix - a toothpick. Even if the $400 weren't an issue, I would still do it this way
Old 09-21-2014

Originally Posted by barryaz1

403. That’s an error.