Exterior Post your issues with Exterior parts here! Exterior covers Body, Doors, Locks, Physical Removal/install lights, Hoods, fenders, etc. For Fundamentally Electrical issues, post on Electrical

8th gen sedans and weak door "checkers"

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
8th gen sedans and weak door "checkers"

Has anyone gotten the improved door checkers for the front doors on your FA. Cant see any change in the current part #s and no TSBs can be found. They are very weak and the doors will not stay put at the indents.

Thanks,
Old 06-04-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 8th gen sedans and weak door "checkers"

I haven't heard anything about improved door checks. Care to explain more about this?

I see current part numbers related to Japan built or N.A. built.
Old 06-05-2012

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The front doors will not stay in place in any of the 2 or 3 available holding positions provided.

If parking on any sort of slight incline or tilt the right way and the door will not stay open without holding it with your foot, or hand.

It only seems to affect sedans and not coupes...and several FA owners have these symptoms.
Old 10-20-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TCATDI is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got the same problem described by CraigW. I just got a 2011 Civic sedan, and both driver-side doors swing freely and the driver door always closes on me as I try to get out of the car. Quite annoying.

Are these easy to replace? Is it the plastic bar that slides into the door that causes the problem, or is the problem with whatever slides on the bar inside the door and rests on the indents?
Old 10-20-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TCATDI

Are these easy to replace? Is it the plastic bar that slides into the door that causes the problem, or is the problem with whatever slides on the bar inside the door and rests on the indents?
Not horribly tough to replace, you have to remove the door panel and do a little fishing.

The door check is a complete unit, self contained. 1 bolt on the door jamb, 2 nuts on the door, and the unit comes out from inside the door.

Your car is under warranty? Complain to your dealer first.

I doubt replacing it will change anything, since the part hasn't been changed at all.

In this catalog,
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...NT+DOOR+PANELS
There are 2 choices for each front door. It doesn't explain it, but the differences are for Japan built vs. US or Canada built.

MAYBE one can be substituted for the other? I have no clue if they are physically or functionally different from each other.
Old 10-20-2012
Registered!!

TCATDI is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, ezone! That helps a lot. The car is a 2011 but has 95k miles, so no warranty.

When you say "...doubt replacing it will change anything..." I assume you mean that the part will be the same short-lived part as before, and that replacing the part will at least provide proper door operation until it wears out. I think it is worth replacing, because I dislike the door closing on me.
Old 10-20-2012

Originally Posted by TCATDI
Thank you, ezone! That helps a lot. The car is a 2011 but has 95k miles, so no warranty.

When you say "...doubt replacing it will change anything..." I assume you mean that the part will be the same short-lived part as before, and that replacing the part will at least provide proper door operation until it wears out. I think it is worth replacing, because I dislike the door closing on me.
Since there is no indication (that I can find) that the part has been improved, I assume that it is an original design and would act the same as, and last just as long as the original part did under the same conditions.

Warranty department thinks it should take less than 15 minutes for a tech to replace one. (Real-world time for YOU to replace one? No clue here, I'm a tech.)

I don't know if there is any difference between the parts used in a Japan built car and a N.A. built car.
You would have to get both parts and compare them side-by-side yourself.

You have a ton of miles on the car already. It must never cool off.
Old 10-21-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

is this a part that can get "tired" with more use? on my 7thgen, the driver door has no holding ability but all the other doors stay open just fine.
Old 10-21-2012

Originally Posted by gearbox
is this a part that can get "tired" with more use? on my 7thgen, the driver door has no holding ability but all the other doors stay open just fine.
It has a spring in it for the "detent", so I'd say yes it can wear and weaken with use.
Ever lubed it?

You all must have some real hills, and I must be a flatlander. I never hear this complaint.
Seems like the only ones I change got broken from the door getting whipped open in the wind.
Old 10-23-2013

ezone, How are your shins doing ?? Any cussing or swearing when entering and exiting your 2012 Civic ??

If not...

I may take the chance and order a 9th gen checker for my drivers side for my 8th gen.

They are not costly, just hate pulling the panel. The cable stuff for inside handle freaks me out. Need to clean my lower window tracks and white grease the regulator as PM.

Edit: 1 year and 1 day blast from the past thread revival.
Old 10-23-2013

Originally Posted by CraigW
ezone, How are your shins doing ??
Fine! This is the flatlands here!

Don't ask about knees, hips, back, shoulder, ankles, bladder, eyes, blood pressure, heart, liver, kidneys, wrists, and most of the rest of the body parts.

Any cussing or swearing when entering and exiting your 2012 Civic ??
Only when my shoe drags across the painted threshold. Maybe I should get a bunch of that clear plastic film for it.

If not...

I may take the chance and order a 9th gen checker for my drivers side for my 8th gen.
Have you looked closely at a new one yet? (12-13 car)

They are not costly, just hate pulling the panel. The cable stuff for inside handle freaks me out. Need to clean my lower window tracks and white grease the regulator as PM.

Edit: 1 year and 1 day blast from the past thread revival.
I don't have to deal with much in the way of hills here though. As I said a year ago in the thread, the only door check problems we really see here seem to be from wind damage. No real complaints like yours, as far as I can remember.
Old 10-24-2013

Have not looked at 9th gens but... these things have not changed much in many years now except dropping in quality, and all the holding works are inside the door.

It does not take uneven terrain to have them not hold, but as soon as you want or expect the damn thing to close it self it wont, then turn around and nail you on flat ground.
Old 07-30-2014

Success !!

OK, Just installed a new 9th gen checker in my 2010 FA1 drivers door. I compared the 2 before install and could only see just slightly more bend in the new one. The dimensions were the same. The back edge of the new one has a complete rubber coating (where it meets the door when all the way open)

Closed the door and inspected and had plenty of gap to the glass when door closed and window all the way down.

Hope it last longer then the original.

Thanks to all.
Old 07-30-2014

Cool! And it fit!

Does it feel much different?
Wanna post the part # you used?
Sedan = sedan?
Old 07-31-2014

Yes, it fit fine could only see a little more curve in new one vs old, Length the same side by side. Double checked the clearance to glass when window down, and door closed.

Original part # never changed (like the sunvisors) and I did not want to put in same part as previous without some idea it was improved. For a bit considered trying the coupe version....too risky.

72380-TR3-A01 is the 2012-2014 sedan part.

Feel is much tighter, hope it continues.

Edit:Swapped out passenger front as well, same fit and works as it should now.

Edit: Edit: Took the old checkers apart today, 2 plastic guides with a single notch that goes into the top and bottom detents in the black rail. They get the pressure from 2 hard rubbers squares pressing > <.

The "milk jug" plastic they use had it's holding notches ground away over time and becomes too loose.

Last edited by CraigW; 08-13-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-27-2016
Registered!!

Deecoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all your research, I was able to fix mine.

I have since discovered that the rear door check straps are also the same part number. Shame on Honda for wanting to charge from $16.00 to almost $100.00 for the same part with a so called different part number!

Buy them online or just buy the rear door part from your dealer. They work front and back, left and right.
Old 10-21-2020
Registered!!

Beckler is an unknown quantity at this point

Used door checker for 2012 Civic on my 08 for driver's door thanks to this thread. I noticed torontohondaparts site lists the part as discontinued so it may be they've just switched to the newer part anyway. Door is working well. Procedure is fairly straightforward. Pulling away the thin plastic barrier under the door panel, sealed with the sticky goop, is weird; potentially messy. I guess must be the absolute cheapest design.

Last edited by Beckler; 10-21-2020 at 08:58 AM.