Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2002 Honda Civic EX while driving tries stalling

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mtexas1 is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Honda Civic EX while driving tries stalling

My 2002 Honda Civic EX started randomly tried stalling while driving, but I give it gas, and it seems to go back to normal. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be. Previously, it was doing same thing and I brought it to authorized Honda Service Center and they couldn't find anything wrong. A friend suggested I add seafoam additive to full gas tank, then take car out on highway and give it gas to clean out fuel injectors. Since that time, I had my car serviced at a reputable service center, and explained about what I added, they took car out on test drive and am sure they applied what I did not do, clearing out the injectors. Car has been fine, until a few days ago. Then it started stalling while driving, I gave it gas and it ran fine. Today, it happened three times. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank You!

Last edited by mtexas1; 05-25-2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: smaller text size and more information
Old 05-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice
Re: 2002 Honda Civic EX while driving tries stalling

Well if cleaning the injectors worked before, it mgiht work again...go to an auto-parts store and ask about fuel additives...

But if the problem re-occurs then there is probably a reason the injectors are getting clogged(Perhaps really bad quality gasoline?)
Old 01-30-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dlew is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2002 Honda Civic EX while driving tries stalling

I would like to post my experience to the Honda Civic Stalling. In my case it began stalling after we hit a deer and damaged the pass side headlight and fender. The car was in the garage for a month. When we got it back on the road, it began stalling when in drive or reverse with the break on, at a stop. ie- at stop signs and red lights. It was fine when giving it gas and the idle was fine in park and reverse. After cleaning the Intake Air Control valve, it ran great for 2 days and then went back to stalling. My mechanic spent many hours trouble shooting and found a valve or cylinder was not working right. This ment Head Gasket coming off, etc. Found a valve was bent, probably accidentally when the previous owner changed the water pump and timing belt a year ago. Also some bolts holding the timing belt were stripped. Also found an engine mount was bad. Mechanic replaced timing belt, fixed bolts, machined the head, new spark plugs. $1600. kind of depressing since I paid 3K for the car, and then had to put 2K into it (needed new radiator a month ago). Mechanic is 100% sure this work will resolve the problem. I got the car back a few days ago. So far it is running well. Time will tell. Hope this helps others. I'm not a mechanic, so my mechanical terminology is not up to speed.