Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

a few major problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mishelly3 is an unknown quantity at this point
a few major problems

hi all- i'm new to the forum- I have a 2005 civic ex here are the multiple issues

1. when I had my remote start/ alarm- viper added 3 years ago the starter was already giving me trouble. i have been able to use the key to start the igniltion a few times but most times the car does not turn over. I just use the remote start to start the car

2. I LOST MY REMOTE START KEY FOB!!! and key

3. After having a very expensive locksmith come out and make a key with a transmitter on in- the car will not turn over using the key method

Do any of you think it is the starter that just went bad after so long?- I almost seem like this is a dumb question to ask but I figured- doesn't hurt.

locksmith said something about the car not starting because the 2nd transmitter is still there and wont let the car start.

I have half a mind to take the starter out and get it tested. I've only worked on late 70's vehicles and am a little apprehensive about attempting the starter take-out on my own.

Any opinions would be helpful
thx
mm
Old 05-07-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: a few major problems

Clarify: "does not turn over" means there is zero action of the electric starter engaging the flywheel and spinning the crankshaft, correct?
All it does is click, or no click at all?
I am going to assume this is what you mean.

1. when I had my remote start/ alarm- viper added 3 years ago the starter was already giving me trouble. i have been able to use the key to start the igniltion a few times but most times the car does not turn over. I just use the remote start to start the car

Tells me that you should have had the problem fixed THREE LONG YEARS AGO, ya big dummy.

Actually, it sounds like a bad ignition switch at this point.

2. I LOST MY REMOTE START KEY FOB!!! and key

Ya big dummy.

3. After having a very expensive locksmith come out and make a key with a transmitter on in- the car will not turn over using the key method

Ok, a few questions that you probably can't answer, but the answers to these will probably explain (to me) why you can't start the car:

Does the remote start have an ignition key of its own stuffed in a box somewhere? (immobilizer bypass)

Did the locksmith program the new key?

Did the locksmith program the new key using the "ALL KEYS LOST" menu in the scanner?

Do any of you think it is the starter that just went bad after so long?- I almost seem like this is a dumb question to ask but I figured- doesn't hurt.

Easy to prove good or bad, without pulling it off.

locksmith said something about the car not starting because the 2nd transmitter is still there and wont let the car start.

Maybe. Answer the set of questions above.

I have half a mind to take the starter out and get it tested. I've only worked on late 70's vehicles and am a little apprehensive about attempting the starter take-out on my own.

No different, even easier. You don't have to lay on the ground. But it is metric, and the fit is tight.
BUT YOU DON'T HAVE A REASON TO PULL IT YET.
Prove it needs pulled first.

My answers to the above questions, and I assume the locksmith was well equipped in order to cut a sidewinder key and program the key....

Does the remote start have an ignition key of its own stuffed in a box somewhere?

Probably, although many better remote starts do this electronically.So it is iffy.
Did the locksmith program the new key?

He had to, if he expected the key to start the car.

But, alas, the original problem still prevents the engine from cranking when you turn the key.

Did the locksmith program the new key using the "ALL KEYS LOST" menu in the scanner?

He had to, if he used an HDS program.

This means the only key that is now programmed to allow the engine to run is the one he cut.
ALL other keys were erased from the immobilizers memory.

The key that is inside the box as part of the remote start is no longer programmed to the car. (Even if the bypass box is done electronically, it is still no longer programmed to the car now.)

And the remote start was the only way you had to get the engine to run, because you neglected to fix the original problem.

Solve the original problem (it won't crank with the key), and you may be able to drive it again.
Then you can get another fob for the remote start.
Then it would take a trip to the dealer or back to the locksmith to program the key that is used inside the box, OR maybe to the remote start installer.Depends on what the system uses, and who is willing and able to do what.

HTH