Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine Shakes and exhaust is sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
uberbrie is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine Shakes and exhaust is sputtering

I've recently noticed my car has been vibrating when I am stopped at stop lights.

After driving a few miles and while idle the car has been shaking, the shaking does not always occur but this morning when it did i got out and noticed the exhaust was shaking a bit and the exiting air flow was inconsistent (sputtering). I had the same problem a month ago but an oil change and fuel cleaner seemed to mitigate the problem. Any one have and ideas on what might be wronge?

The car has about 50K mi on it and I plan on putting another 100K on it so any advise is appreciated.
Old 04-12-2012
Registered!!

LukeKondratowic is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Engine Shakes and exhaust is sputtering

Well, there could me many things wrong, but generally a sputtering is cause by the engine not firing properly, are you using poor quality fuel? Spark plugs would be the next thing I would check, if they are badly carboned up, that would cause the occasional misfire and there fore a sputter.
I once had a Volvo, and had a very similiar problem, all it was, was a loose wire from the distributor to the spark plug. Try wiggling all the wires from the distributor to the plugs and ensure they are secure.

If you said a fuel cleaner helped i would strongly recommend getting the plugs replaced, its a fairly inexpensive venture and it will help fuel economy if nothing else.

If jiggling wires and replacing plugs doesnt help then perhaps you might need to plug your car into a computer and make sure all the sensors, like oxygen and the like, are working properly.

Todays engines are more reliable then ever, I am certain its not a serious problem, but a small issue you shouldn't have problems getting the miles you want out of the car.

Hope that helps

Last edited by LukeKondratowic; 04-12-2012 at 08:37 AM. Reason: spelling mistake.
Old 04-26-2012
Registered!!

uberbrie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, the spark plugs actually make sense because yesterday when I tried to start my car it didn't immediately turn over. Is there anywhere I can get my car hooked up to a computer for free?

I'm going to do some maintianance on my car this weekend before I take it to Honda and let them try to rip me off.

Additionally, I've noticed that the problem is more common in the morning and less severe when the A/C is turned off. Also the car idles at about 700 RPM but when the car starts to shake the idle drops to about 600 RPMs
Old 04-26-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uberbrie
before I take it to Honda and let them try to rip me off.
I work at a dealer.

Any one have and ideas on what might be wronge?
Yes.