Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Yet another door chime issue (2007 EX)

Old 03-15-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
emaxxx4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yet another door chime issue (2007 EX)

I realized that when the engine is shut off and the headlights are on, that I no longer hear the door chime to remind the driver that the lights are on. I looked around the forums and found a few entries, even checking the one on the '04 civic here (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/21-i-c-e-electrical/288083-lights-key-ignition-chime.html) which suggested checking and replacing the fuses if necessary. I checked the fuses mentioned in that thread and they're intact.

To test, I had the car off, turned the lights on, and opened my door = nothing. With the lights still on I closed my door and opened the passenger door = still nothing. Although it's possible, what are the odds that both the passenger and drivers side door sensors are bad? I started to use a DeWalt drill on taking my sensor off for inspection, but when I started to strip the screw hole, I stopped.

Should I go ahead and take it up to the dealer or am I missing another overlooked step? I just got a DuraLast Gold battery, so I'm good, but I'm afraid I'll leave my lights on again and have the same situation.
Old 03-15-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Yet another door chime issue (2007 EX)

Is your dome working when you open drivers door ??
It will only give you headlights on warning when drivers door opens.

Those plunger switches break easily.
Old 03-15-2012
Registered!!

Thanks for your help! Yes. When I open the door, both driver and passenger dome lights come on.

With door open or closed, I insert the key, turn it to the "II" position, and i hear the beep. But alas, with the key in or out, headlights on and either passenger or driver door open, there is no door chime to remind me that the headlights are on.
Old 03-15-2012

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Do you get the "drivers door open key in ignition beep" ?
Old 03-15-2012
Registered!!

No, nothing. With the key in or out or key in and engine on, theres no open door signal.
Old 03-15-2012

What I meant was engine off, drivers door open and key in ignition. (should beep)
Old 03-15-2012
Registered!!

I dont think theres a distinct door ajar sound at all, unless that too is no longer working. The only sound i get is when i turn the ignition key to the "II" position.

Shoot me some more setups and ill report back what is and isnt happening. Thanks again for the help!
Old 03-15-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Is it dark out?
Open the drivers door.
See how the dash lights up a little?
Get in and shut the door.
Don't do anything.
Wait until the dash goes dark again....like a minute or so.

Insert the key in the ignition but DO NOT turn it. Just push it straight in and stop.
Did the dash light up again or not?

It might have a bad switch for the key reminder on the ignition housing.
(Or someone hacked into it when a remote start was put on, or an alarm?)
Or a MICU problem.
You may need to find if there are "B codes" in the body system.
Old 03-16-2012
Registered!!

I followed your instructions. I got in, waited until the dome lights went out, then inserted the key without turning it, and yes, the speedometer on the dash did light up a bit.
Old 03-16-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emaxxx4
I followed your instructions. I got in, waited until the dome lights went out, then inserted the key without turning it, and yes, the speedometer on the dash did light up a bit.
MY next step would be to see if there are body codes, and for me that means using an HDS (factory) scanner.

Actually, it would have probably been my first step. Then checking inputs and outputs on the datalists.
Old 03-16-2012
Registered!!

Ok, thanks for the help. I don't have one of those so when I get my next check I'll just take it up to the dealer's.