Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2012 Civic EX Icy roads

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NikiCivic12 is an unknown quantity at this point
2012 Civic EX Icy roads

I LOVE my new Civic, but I hate how it feels on icy roads. (Especially when I hit a patch of ice!) It fishtails easily and feels like I'm about to wreck my car. It almost makes me want to trade it in! Any advice? I have tried turning the TCS off and it seems to help... but still feels scary on ice. I love my car, but might trade it next winter for something with all wheel drive.
Old 02-12-2012
Registered!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Dobber1 is a jewel in the roughDobber1 is a jewel in the roughDobber1 is a jewel in the rough
Re: 2012 Civic EX Icy roads

I thought Honda would have resolved this issue by now, and maybe they have. Back in 2007 with my new Civic, same thing was happening to me. I associated it to the excessive negative camber of the rear wheels caused by the wrong upper control arms in the suspension. There was a TSB for this and after I had them replaced, the fishtail feeling you're having went away. Feel the tread/sidewall on the inside of your rear tires & see if they are smooth or cupped. Cupping would cause your car to not "roll" true. I'm sure you've already checked your air pressure, as that could cause some wiggle also.

Hope this helps...on to my problems now...
Old 03-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FNG2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dobber1
I thought Honda would have resolved this issue by now, and maybe they have. Back in 2007 with my new Civic, same thing was happening to me. I associated it to the excessive negative camber of the rear wheels caused by the wrong upper control arms in the suspension. There was a TSB for this and after I had them replaced, the fishtail feeling you're having went away. Feel the tread/sidewall on the inside of your rear tires & see if they are smooth or cupped. Cupping would cause your car to not "roll" true. I'm sure you've already checked your air pressure, as that could cause some wiggle also.

Hope this helps...on to my problems now...
There was a TSB for the wrong control arms? was there a recall? I have a 06 and have always thought the rear wheels seemed to wear the inside tread much faster than normal.
Old 03-04-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I'm locking this thread.

80% of drivers manage just fine in ice and snow with a fwd car, if you have winter tires and you can't manage to keep the back end from sliding out, then you need driving lessons not a new car.

The TSB from 06-07 has nothing to do with a 12 Civic, it's a completely different car.