Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

08 civic AC bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mhayek is an unknown quantity at this point
08 civic AC bearing replacement

My car went into a ditch and engine went partially under water. I changed oil and filter, tranny fluid, replaced alternator cuz it got wet. Works ok but I hear a "whir" from the right side of engine and my guess is the AC compressor bearing. Dealer says $250 for clutch/pulley/bearing assembly. Can I pull pulley and press out/replace bearing? I see ebay has OEM (NSK) bearing for $30 but before I buy it I wanted someone with knowledge in this area.
Old 01-15-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 08 civic AC bearing replacement

It isn't real tough to get the pulley off to replace it if you have the tools and know what you are doing. It can be a bear if the compressor has a lot of age and corrosion on the hub though.
I don't even have to discharge the system to replace the clutch set. I do it all with the compressor still attached on most. Occasionally I have to unbolt the compressor for access, but I try like hell to do the work without having to discharge the system.

But I have never tried to change ONLY its bearing.

Pull it off, take it to a press, try it?
The worst you can do is ruin it, and you already needed the new one.