Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2009 Civic EX Making Strange Noise When Starting - Video

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thesugarplum is an unknown quantity at this point
2009 Civic EX Making Strange Noise When Starting - Video

Hello everyone!

My 2009 Civic EX is making an odd noise when I start (it's right before the Starter engages and coming from the ignition area).

It makes a squeak, GRRRR, Grunt right before it switches over to start. Here is the video which you can hopefully hear the noise:

[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1129& transactionid=1325025269-10701489&posted_by=thesugarplum_www.civicforums.co m&youtube_video_id=ewxcRaxhqT8[/autostream]

I only have about 13k miles on this and have taken care of the car. Someone suggested I squirt WD40 in the ignition but am hesitant to do that...is this something I have to take into the dealer? I can't really do that until in mid-January unless it requires more immediate attention.

Before the Civic I had an Accord and an Element and never heard anything like this and never had any issues on them - the first five years were just basic maintenance.

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2011
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2009 Civic EX Making Strange Noise When Starting - Video

It's the starter relay. It is normal. All Hondas can do it. Turn the key faster, and all the way to the end of its turn. Don't turn the key slowly to the crank position.