Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New 2007 Civic, Few problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ayoao is an unknown quantity at this point
New 2007 Civic, Few problems

I just recently bought this Honda Civic, not checking out it competely.
My own fault I know.

Now i'm left here with a couple problems.

The Battery and Malfunction Light had popped up awhile ago, after backing out of my driveway.. Stalling on the street.
I then continued to drive, accelerating on the highway, to have it then lead to not fully accelerating, being choppy.

I believe that the alternator is pretty much screwed up,
Also when looking carefully, there were HID lights that were installed, which don't work?
Low Beams work, High Beams do.

In the trunk there an amp which was ran to the battery, with no ground wire and i think the remote wire for it was hooked up to the alternator fuse under the wheel..

I got a couple problems.. can anyone help me? Would I need to go see the dealer? & What are some possible fixes that I could do?

A mechanic tried installing a new alternator and the problem still occured

Old 12-20-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: New 2007 Civic, Few problems

What lead the mechanic to installing a new alternator, without addressing what sounds like a mess of poorly installed electrical modifications?

The improperly installed audio system could very likely be the real problem, if the alternator was replaced for low output. If the mechanic wasn't able to recognize that, find a new shop.
Old 12-20-2011
Registered!!

He had worked for a honda dealership, but now works at a acura garage.
He's a family friend, but I think that when I had moved the amp, it had started to have so static charge, so i removed the wire connecting it to the battery.

It didn't have a ground wire.. so maybe it had burnt something in the car?
ECU?

i'm so aggravated right now
Old 12-20-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

No, if it burnt or fried something in the ecu you would have much more severe problems, generally. Weird random things would happen, your issues are all sound related to inadequate voltage. Which is good, because ECUs are expensive.

It could have fried something in the fuse box. The lack of a ground wire would throw things off electrically, correct me if I'm not following you, but is the amp no longer hooked up?

The first thing I would do is test the ELD
Old 12-20-2011
Registered!!

The Amp is no longer hooked up, but like I said.. I think that there was some blue wire that was tied and connected to the fuse, which happened to be the alternator fuse.. Maybe that is what's wrong?

What's the ELD?
Old 12-20-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

electrical load detector, it staggers the alternators output to increase fuel efficiency by reducing load to minimal levels when possible. It's a part inside the fusebox, a little black box, around $35 at the dealer.
Old 12-20-2011
Registered!!

The alternator is fixed.. now the only problem is the headlights and this stupid radio code -_-
Old 12-21-2011
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

Radio code should be on a sticker located on the glove box. I posted a video here..

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-im-stuck.html

The headlights i would just replace with hologen bulbs..the HID are great and all but if not done properly they will cause problems electrically also. If you want to keep the hids then you need to make sure they are hooked up right. the high beams use 9005 low use 9006

Last edited by Gunner; 12-21-2011 at 06:01 AM. Reason: added link
Old 12-21-2011
Registered!!

I just bought these ZXE lights, installed the driver side, while the other side still has the HID lights.. neither side is working. Would I have to install both sides for them to work?

If not.. then i think lighting is the problem?
Old 12-21-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

A faulty ELD can prevent the headlights from working.

and no, both bulbs do not need to be installed for the headlights to function, hence why you frequently see people with one burnt out and one functioning bulb.