Go Back   Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civics by Generation > 8th & 9th Gen > Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Experience Used CarsGarageVendor Directory
Welcome to Honda Civic Forum

Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2011   #1 (permalink)
Registered!!

Points: 273, Level: 5 Points: 273, Level: 5 Points: 273, Level: 5
Level up: 46%, 27 Points needed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Activity: 1.1%
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%
civicdriver18 is an unknown quantity at this point
93 civic ex speedo problem

Hi, I have this 1993 civic. I have owned it going on three years now. Just about 2 months ago I started experience speedometer problems. I took it in and they said it was the VSS. well I had the mechanic replace it and I thought that would fix it. Well It didn't. The needle jumps around all the time. It does go to zero when the car is stopped. And at this point I am kind of out of luck. I have been using an app on my phone to tell me how fast I am going. I love the car and I dont want to have to get a new one. any suggestions?
civicdriver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011   #2 (permalink)
Gladiator School Alumnus

Location: Pissing off more people before 9am than most people do all day long.
Points: 59,357, Level: 100 Points: 59,357, Level: 100 Points: 59,357, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100.0%
Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0%
ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute
LOL #youcantbeserious OMGWTFBBQ Seriously? I'm not 12. lookitmelookitmelookitmelookitmelookitme
Re: 93 civic ex speedo problem

Most of them need the speedometer itself, not the VSS sensor.

A bad VSS (dead sensor) would set a code 17 in the ECM.

A Honda compatible scan tool would be able to display the vehicle speed, and the VSS operation would be checked that way, good/bad/erratic.
ezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #3 (permalink)
Registered!!

Points: 456, Level: 9 Points: 456, Level: 9 Points: 456, Level: 9
Level up: 12%, 44 Points needed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
JUSCRUISIN88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine does the same thing but now it went ALL the way around and pegged at zero. I'm going to take it apart and check the connections but I've also heard its the speedo itself.
JUSCRUISIN88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #4 (permalink)
Gladiator School Alumnus

Points: 59,357, Level: 100 Points: 59,357, Level: 100 Points: 59,357, Level: 100
ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute
LOL #youcantbeserious OMGWTFBBQ Seriously? I'm not 12. lookitmelookitmelookitmelookitmelookitme

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSCRUISIN88 View Post
Mine does the same thing but now it went ALL the way around and pegged at zero. I'm going to take it apart and check the connections but I've also heard its the speedo itself.
Connections will be fine. The problem in on the circuit board. "Cold solder joints" or cracked solder joints.

They can probably be repaired ok if the circuit board is exposed and it isn't sealed. I have seen some speedo heads that have half of the board sealed in a hard plastic like coating that prevents any attempts at repairs for me (the problem area was in the sealed part).

If you CAN solder tiny electronics well, and the circuit board isn't sealed, then I would just go over the entire board and resolder every last component on it.
Old 12-13-2011   #5 (permalink)
Registered!!

Points: 80, Level: 1 Points: 80, Level: 1 Points: 80, Level: 1
Level up: 60%, 20 Points needed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Activity: 3.1%
Activity: 3.1% Activity: 3.1% Activity: 3.1%
Jack Smith is an unknown quantity at this point

I also love this car.
Old 01-15-2012   #6 (permalink)
Registered!!

Points: 456, Level: 9 Points: 456, Level: 9 Points: 456, Level: 9
Level up: 12%, 44 Points needed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
JUSCRUISIN88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicdriver18 View Post
Hi, I have this 1993 civic. I have owned it going on three years now. Just about 2 months ago I started experience speedometer problems. I took it in and they said it was the VSS. well I had the mechanic replace it and I thought that would fix it. Well It didn't. The needle jumps around all the time. It does go to zero when the car is stopped. And at this point I am kind of out of luck. I have been using an app on my phone to tell me how fast I am going. I love the car and I dont want to have to get a new one. any suggestions?
I just have my speed figured out by what the tachometer says and just "wing" it.
JUSCRUISIN88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012   #7 (permalink)
Registered!!

Points: 113, Level: 2 Points: 113, Level: 2 Points: 113, Level: 2
Level up: 26%, 37 Points needed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Activity: 3.0%
Activity: 3.0% Activity: 3.0% Activity: 3.0%
FTBSTRD22 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 94 civic an am new to the honda scene i have a issue close to yours but its my tach doing it an car starts to spit an sputter an little bit anyonbe have any ideas?
FTBSTRD22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012   #8 (permalink)
Gladiator School Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTBSTRD22 View Post
I have a 94 civic an am new to the honda scene i have a issue close to yours but its my tach doing it an car starts to spit an sputter an little bit anyonbe have any ideas?
Probably has everything to do with the igniter inside the distributor.
If it comes down to that, many recommend replacing the coil and igniter as a set.

Here's some cheap or free stuff to check first, all inside the distributor:

One thing I have seen, and is somewhat common, is the female wire connector terminals lose their tension over time. Honda gave us a tool for re-crimping these terminals to tighten them up.

A loose terminal fit combined with engine vibrations causes extra pulses and the tach picks that up and displays higher than actual RPM.

Or the tach needle can drop if pulses are missing because of a bad connection too.

Has someone replaced a coil or igniter recently?

I have seen where people shove the wires on the igniter and miss, so the male blade goes between the female terminal and the rubber boot. Bad connection.

HTH
Old 01-29-2012
CivicForums
Honda Civic

Paid Advertisement

Tags
93 , board , circuit , civic , dx , honda , issue , printed , problems , speedmeter , speedo , speedometer , sticking , vs , work