Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2011 Civic LX

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phillies is an unknown quantity at this point
2011 Civic LX

Hi!

I bought a 2011 Civic (auto) in May. I have about 2,500 miles so far. I drive relatively little, a 4 mi trip to work, 4 mi back, and occasionally a 150 mi trip(each way) to visit my family on weekends here and there.

I haven't done anything maint. wise with the car, as everyone said to wait until the light comes on.

My only question is with my very stop/go driving, will I need to change my oil before the light comes on? The "oil life" thing says 70%. Not sure what that even means or if that's just based on the odometer.

Also, I only have 2500 mi on the car. I "THINK" I've broken it in? However, I have driven over 80mph on highways, and the acceleration from 1st-2nd seems a little sluggish. No slipping gears, no noises, etc tho.

My last car (Saturn) the tranny died, after a host of other issues, all before 100k miles, so I'm a bit paranoid by nature.
Old 09-10-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: 2011 Civic LX

Use synthetic oil in place of standard grade oil and you'll be fine changing at the recommend service points, the composition of synthetic will perform much better than standard under strenuous conditions. The oil life meter is just based on the odometer, you are correct.

The engine is just barely broken in at 2500 miles, everything has expanded and contracted sufficiently that it's set in but it won't be truly broken in until closer to 5000 miles. If your still using the original factory oil it would be advisable to consider changing it soon, initial break in is tough on an engine.

It's good that your brought the engine up to 80mph already, make sure you push your engine to the limits that you ever plan on doing early in it's life while everything is being seated. Keep in mind, this is important, the hardest thing you can ever do to your engine is start it and then shut if off cold. Since you have a short drive to work make sure you get it up to full operating temperature routinely to burn off carbon deposits.
Old 09-10-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phillies is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2011 Civic LX

Thanks! I appreciate the advice!