Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Civic 2008 coolant leak problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deeppeer is an unknown quantity at this point
Civic 2008 coolant leak problem

I have preowned certified CIVIC LX 2008 model. It is 50k from odometer. I have a problem with coolant leak for sure.I fill the coolant to the maximum while parking. 20 min later it was all drained. No leaking underneath the car. What problem should it be? From the other forums, I figured it may be the cracked engine block. I am not sure if I am right. Could it be something else? I am totally freak out about everything Charge, rental.

As well as, when the temp gauge rising to the red line, I still keep driving to the safe location--not too far like 7 or 8 min like 0.75 mile, but I heard some buzzing sound from the driver side, not sure what it is. However, when the temp gauge going down to zero, and drive again for very short distance I didnot hear it. Please let me know what it is. What should be checked for that sound? I am totally freaked out about.

I also got some question about the coverage for extended warranty, will all of this be covered. I have 7yr/100000 power train warranty, 12month non powertrain warranty. I couldnt quite understand what it is. Will it be cover?
I also heard about the extended warrant to 8yr for civic model 2008, will it be applied to all civic 2008?

Thank you so much

John
Old 08-21-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: Civic 2008 coolant leak problem

Did you just buy it? How long since you bought it? It sounds like you have a blown headgasket. Loss of coolant with no leak is a classic symptom of a bad headgasket. If it's been a short time (less than a year) since you bought it, then take it back and have them fix it. Otherwise you're looking at a $1000 repair.

*** DO NOT drive it if it's overheating.***
Old 08-21-2011
Registered!!

Thank you so much for your reply. I bought it 3 years ago. I have extended warranty. Would like to know if it will be covered.

thank you so much
Old 08-21-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

That is a lot of coolant to loose in 20 mins, should be able to spot for sure. Running it hot any is not good. The cracked block issue is covered under extension warr.
Old 08-21-2011
Registered!!

Thank you so much CraigW

As far as I saerch for now, it is also said it could be bad head gasket too. Want to know will it be covered by warranty.

Anything else would it cause the coolant leak?

I am really stressed out about my car. Hope someone can help me esp the warranty coverage.
Old 08-21-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I would imagine the 5 year 60k mile warr would cover head gasket ??
Old 08-21-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i think the cracked block is filed under a recall, since its a safety issue when the engine siezes and stops working. so it should be covered as long as you own the car. since you have warranty, take it in and have them fix whatever the problem is.
Old 09-27-2011
Registered!!

blinddriver is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deeppeer
Thank you so much CraigW

As far as I saerch for now, it is also said it could be bad head gasket too. Want to know will it be covered by warranty.

Anything else would it cause the coolant leak?

I am really stressed out about my car. Hope someone can help me esp the warranty coverage.

This was the same symptom I had on my 07 Civic. Coolant leaking yet no spill found on ground. Took it in and it was the now infamous cracked engine block causing this problem. They fixed it all to include r&r the block, fuel gauge, o2 sensor and miscellaneous other parts. The leak inside the block apparently made it possible for the coolant to enter the fuel system.