Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

2008 Honda Civic vibrates in Parking or Reverse gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
raaxaa is an unknown quantity at this point
2008 Honda Civic vibrates in Parking or Reverse gear

My 2008 Honda Civic vibrates when I am in Parking or Reverse gear. However the vibration gradually goes away when I put it in Drive.

Also, after driving it for sometime it doesn’t produce the same vibrations in Parking or Reverse gear (I am imagining because engine is hot..but I am in Middle East, its ALWAYS hot here!). These vibrations especially occurs in morning when I drive it after several hours of non-use. However, of recently the vibration carries well into the Drive gear as well.

Is this a problem relating to Spark Plugs? And would changing them solve this issue?

PS. FYI, I have only 55000 Km on it and have regularly taken it for Oil Change service. It’s in pretty good condition.
Old 08-10-2011
Registered!!

raaxaa is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2008 Honda Civic vibrates in Parking or Reverse gear

Anyone?
Old 08-11-2011
Registered!!

eaglefox12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sir... I have the same exact problem... I have a 2dr Coupe 07... 60K miles ....Took it to a mechanic... he said... right engine mount needs to be replaced... but i am not sure if that's going to fix the problem... anyone has any input on this issue... please
Old 08-16-2011
Registered!!

eaglefox12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by raaxaa
Anyone?
update... my problem's fixed after $330... dealer quoted $550...the problem was my right engine mount.. there was a crack... so depending on where the noise is coming from.. L/R... have them check the engine mount... 3 weeks.. and 3 mechanics.. no one could figure it out right... until the fourth one...
Old 10-13-2011
Registered!!

Albort is an unknown quantity at this point

Was JUST about to post something about it but i see its already posted.

It cant be the engine mount as if it happens only in reverse, it should also happen in drive...

I looked everywhere, at this point, i might just gonna have to leave the car with the mechanic for them to figure out in the morning...

Had a 2 trusted mechanic(a neighbor and a really good mechanic) check it out. The guy checked out my engine mounts and they are fine.
Old 10-14-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

still could be a mount, depending on which part is cracked, if its completely broken or just a small piece. the engine would not move around non stop, sometimes only on acceleration or braking. once the car is moving, the engine will stay where it is.
Old 10-14-2011
Registered!!

anhkhoi84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: 2008 Honda Civic vibrates in Parking or Reverse gear

I got exact problem, and it is the engine mount on passenger side. In the morning, your engine is cold so it would vibrate more, when it warm up, the vibration is gone. I got the part at dealership for $140 and fix it myself, its not really hard to replace. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2011
Registered!!

johng35 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had same problem.... mine was intermittent, and not all the time.

passenger side engine mount was replaced under warranty. The auto matics have plastic and rubber mounts.... could be a design flaw.

Would like to see the 9th gen 1.8 with automatics if they went to a metal and rubber mount like the manual trans models.
Old 12-03-2011
Registered!!

Tafetta08civic is an unknown quantity at this point

I also have the vibration but usually at idle. Feels like it's going to stall but never does. Also feel some shake and hesitation between first and second gear. Any suggestions ?
Old 12-13-2011
Registered!!

Jack Smith is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm also facing the same problem. I'm hoping you to continue this discussion in future also so that I can get more updates regarding it.
Old 12-13-2011
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

common issue with 8th gen..

The engine mount is hydraulic and eventually sags with normal use. When it reaches near the end of its life, the bump stops would start to bottom out and hit each other, transferring engine vibration to the body. The vibration is more pronounced when the engine is cold or when the transmission is on reverse.

Check the spacing between the bump stops... they should be about 1cm or so away from each other.

My old engine mount:
Name:  SideEngineMount-1.jpg
Views: 27653
Size:  86.2 KB

New:
Name:  IMG_8139-1.jpg
Views: 28019
Size:  63.8 KB
Old 12-13-2011
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

I vote lower motor mount or tourque mount..

I think brembo is making or made mounts for the R-18s but i would get OEM if it is available overseas.
Old 01-31-2012
M2M
Registered!!

M2M is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe this to be a chronic problem for Honda's. I am replacing the "dogbone" motor mount and an additonal motor mount for wife's 2007 Civic 1.8/Automatic.
Old 04-06-2012
Registered!!

2008_civic_mike is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank-you for the great advice, I have a 2008 civic LX, in winter time when the temperature dropped the car started to vibrate. It only happens when I start the car, but after 2 hours of driving the vibration goes away.
Old 04-20-2012
Registered!!

srw77 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm super excited to see if this is my problem as well. I have my 2007 Civic has been experiencing the loud vibrating noise, only in reverse and in the mornings, for several months now. I was very concerned that it was a transmission problem and now I'm hopeful after seeing these posts. Thank you so much!

Also, I am wondering if perhaps this could also cause a thud sound when driving super slow, especially over speed bumps? Coincidentally, it appears to be coming from the front passenger side. I was thinking strut, but maybe it's all the same thing?
Old 10-27-2012
Registered!!

manishparajiya is an unknown quantity at this point

I have Honda Civic ( manaul transmission)which was purchased in oct 2010. Since last one
year i am feeling bad vibration while getting started in first gear or reverse gear.
First honda told that there is no defect and then they replaced Throttle body assembly unit under warranty last week, but the vibrations are as it was. Now i am taking legal actoin on honda in consumer forum. Plz advise.
Old 11-01-2012
Registered!!

pnavarro is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: 2008 Honda Civic vibrates in Parking or Reverse gear

Hi im new here and im experiencing the same problem with my car. I own a 2009 Honda Civic AT,my car vibrates upon starting the engine and it happens while on park and on reverse but its fine when its on drive. The vibration becomes so pronounced that it really bothers me a lot. I went to the CASA to have it checked and was advised that it was an engine support problem but NO ITS NOT. then i had it checked by a trusted local mechanic, he said he couldnt find any problem with the parts so maybe it was alreadythe transmission that was broken..... Does anyone know what might be wrong? please help. Im desperate to having this fixed soon. thank you! You may contact me on my email address paulinenavarro2000@yahoo.com or text me at 09435054515 or 09276198415 THANK YOU!!! Godbless!
Old 11-02-2012
Registered!!

aztony is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pnavarro
Hi im new here and im experiencing the same problem with my car. I own a 2009 Honda Civic AT,my car vibrates upon starting the engine and it happens while on park and on reverse but its fine when its on drive. The vibration becomes so pronounced that it really bothers me a lot. I went to the CASA to have it checked and was advised that it was an engine support problem but NO ITS NOT. then i had it checked by a trusted local mechanic, he said he couldnt find any problem with the parts so maybe it was alreadythe transmission that was broken..... Does anyone know what might be wrong? please help. Im desperate to having this fixed soon. thank you! You may contact me on my email address paulinenavarro2000@yahoo.com or text me at 09435054515 or 09276198415 THANK YOU!!! Godbless!
You said you had it checked and you were told it was an engine support problem but then you go and say NO ITS NOT. How did you come to the conclusion that it isn't? You seem pretty definite that it's not for some reason.

On another note, it's really not a good idea to post your email address and phone numbers in a public forum. You're just asking for problems and getting lots of spam (not the kind that comes in a can either). I recommend you remove that info from your post.
Old 10-25-2013
Registered!!

jsechri2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am having the similar problem with my 08 EX (55k miles, auto)..except my issue is that after my car warms up i notice a pretty decent vibration that can be felt in my steering wheel as well as in my seat when i come to a stop. i get the same vibration whether its in drive, neutral or park. my rpm's stay between 650-750 when im in drive. i have changed my plugs even though i didn't think it was necessary, replaced my air filter and cleaned my maf to which it is still there. i am going to pull my right engine mount tomorrow to check it out. anyone have any other ideas???
Old 11-03-2013
Registered!!

lindsname is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2008 2-door coupe and the vibration became noticeable almost 3 months ago at about 48,000 mi. Started as soon as morning temps went down to mid 60's. Vibrating started in park and neutral, then also in reverse, though it was a deeper rumbling type sound. Idling at about 1400rpm in the morning made everything in my car shake and rattle, including my steering wheel, coffee cup etc! Vibrating would get a little better once it went down to about 1000rpm. Then after about a month, started noticing dragging vibration type sound when driving off slowly even after it was warmed up...went away as soon as I accelerated higher. Friend looked at it, and the right mount must be metal to metal-no space between because we couldn't even wedge a credit card between them. This all happens right after I paid off my car at 6 years of course. No warranty since I was never even close to 60,000mi at 5 years anyways. I heard buying after-market mounts could make it vibrate more even if mount lasted longer, but going back to stock might make it collapse again due to Honda's faulty design (using plastic and rubber I read). Not sure which way to go at this point.
Old 11-03-2013
Registered!!

lindsname is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you ever get your car fixed? Can you tell me which mount you replaced and did you use Honda stock part or go with a cheaper after-market part? And did it solve the issues?
Old 11-03-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lindsname
I have a 2008 2-door coupe and the vibration became noticeable almost 3 months ago at about 48,000 mi. Started as soon as morning temps went down to mid 60's. Vibrating started in park and neutral, then also in reverse, though it was a deeper rumbling type sound. Idling at about 1400rpm in the morning made everything in my car shake and rattle, including my steering wheel, coffee cup etc! Vibrating would get a little better once it went down to about 1000rpm. Then after about a month, started noticing dragging vibration type sound when driving off slowly even after it was warmed up...went away as soon as I accelerated higher. Friend looked at it, and the right mount must be metal to metal-no space between because we couldn't even wedge a credit card between them. This all happens right after I paid off my car at 6 years of course. No warranty since I was never even close to 60,000mi at 5 years anyways. I heard buying after-market mounts could make it vibrate more even if mount lasted longer, but going back to stock might make it collapse again due to Honda's faulty design (using plastic and rubber I read). Not sure which way to go at this point.
Originally Posted by lindsname
Did you ever get your car fixed? Can you tell me which mount you replaced and did you use Honda stock part or go with a cheaper after-market part? And did it solve the issues?
Dealer tech here.
I have not seen the factory replacement mounts fail so far.
You need the engine mount on the passengers side.

Read this short thread: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...m-2200rpm.html
Old 12-22-2013
Registered!!

shaheen is an unknown quantity at this point

Similar vibration problems in cold and reverse gear, can any body tell exactly what it is please, mine is a 2006 coupe
Old 12-22-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shaheen
Similar vibration problems in cold and reverse gear, can any body tell exactly what it is please, mine is a 2006 coupe
I suggest you read the rest of this thread that you have posted in. You may find a handy post such as this one: CLICK HERE
Old 12-30-2015
Registered!!

Mayceesison is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2008 Honda Civic coupe and I had the exact problem. Diagnosis was right engine mount was broken. It's not serious that it needs to be fixed asap. However, it is annoying. I suggest look for a good place and trusted mechanic for. Good price if this is the case. The part it self cost me about 180$ plus another 100$ for labour. My dad personally thought it was pricey but at the time that's the best price I could find.
Old 12-30-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

My 07 had the same problem. The lower dog bone was also gone. I am thinking maybe the dog bone one put more stress on that upper one. Made more of a coarse hard vibration fill. Ezone nailed it for me. Replacement made car fill like brand new.

Down around post 19 is what mine looked like.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ntrol-arm.html
Old 10-10-2017
Registered!!

numpty14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Been reading up on all the issues with engine mounts causing vibration for the Honda civic and I also have similar issues with vibration on my 2009LX. So how do you know which side to change?
Old 10-10-2017

Originally Posted by numpty14
Been reading up on all the issues with engine mounts causing vibration for the Honda civic and I also have similar issues with vibration on my 2009LX. So how do you know which side to change?
It's only the engine mount, none of the others.
See the pictures in this thread (post #11)
Old 10-10-2017
Registered!!

numpty14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Appreciate the quick feedback. Yep my mount is definately shot.
Old 09-18-2022
Registered!!

Rockride is an unknown quantity at this point

Good evening all. I drive a honda civic 2008. R18 engine. Am experiencing the same problem but additional. My steering pump loose and causes my belt to cut. Please prefer a solution. Thank you

QUOTE=srw77;4598194]I'm super excited to see if this is my problem as well. I have my 2007 Civic has been experiencing the loud vibrating noise, only in reverse and in the mornings, for several months now. I was very concerned that it was a transmission problem and now I'm hopeful after seeing these posts. Thank you so much!

Also, I am wondering if perhaps this could also cause a thud sound when driving super slow, especially over speed bumps? Coincidentally, it appears to be coming from the front passenger side. I was thinking strut, but maybe it's all the same thing?[/QUOTE]2