Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Vibration--Engine Mounts???

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sonoma818 is an unknown quantity at this point
Vibration--Engine Mounts???

I have a 08 Civic Coupe that started vibrating in cool weather when I put the car in reverse. When I went into drive, the vibration stopped. In warm weather it was fine. Three months later, it vibrates in park, reverse and drive--in summer weather. Have been to 3 shops, and no cure. Yesterday I changed the dog-bone mount, and the problem persists. HELP!!!
Old 08-09-2011
Registered!!

raaxaa is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Vibration--Engine Mounts???

Hi. I am having the same problem in my 2008 Civic. (Infact just posted a query relating to this problem). The vibrations are most visible in Parking & Reverse gear and sometime follow in Driv gear also.

I havent done anything regarding it yet. Do you think it can be dangerous driving the car like this?

And did you find out the Root Cause for this problem?

Cheers
Old 08-10-2011
Registered!!

raaxaa is an unknown quantity at this point

there?
Old 08-10-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sonoma818
Yesterday I changed the dog-bone mount, and the problem persists.
Which one, the front or back one? There are couple things that you can do:

1. Change the other mount(s)
2. Scan for codes. Autozone will do it for free if you don't have a scan tool.

I would personally scan for codes first just to rule out the engine or tranny codes. If no codes and it's still vibrating after you change the other mount(s) then I would say you need to have the tranny inspected. To inspect it they would have to take it apart. Meaning you might as well have it re-built 'cause it's gonna be about as expensive as a re-build.

FYI: Go on Honda-tech and look at their list of TSBs to see if this is a common problem
Old 08-11-2011
Registered!!

eaglefox12 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem with my 07 coupe... my mechanic says right engine mount needs to be replaced... doing it this weekend... not sure if i should get aftermarket or the oem... $150 vs $500...n not sure after doing that it's going to solve the issue... anyone???
Old 08-11-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

500 for a mount? lol goto www.hondaautomotiveparts.com i bet its a ton cheaper. usually only the front mount goes bad anyway. and im not sure on the newer civics, but when my mount tore i didnt feel any vibrations. engine didnt quite have the power it used to, but i wouldnt have even noticed without looking at the mount.
Old 08-11-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
500 for a mount? lol goto www.hondaautomotiveparts.com i bet its a ton cheaper. usually only the front mount goes bad anyway. and im not sure on the newer civics, but when my mount tore i didnt feel any vibrations. engine didnt quite have the power it used to, but i wouldnt have even noticed without looking at the mount.
that's with the labor... it's $250 for the mount PLUS another $250 for labor... dealers are suckers... they suck all the money out of u... lol
Old 08-16-2011
Registered!!

update... my problem's fixed after $330... dealer quoted $550...the problem was my right engine mount.. there was a crack... so depending on where the noise is coming from.. L/R... have them check the engine mount... 3 weeks.. and 3 mechanics.. no one could figure it out right... until the fourth one...
Old 10-09-2012
Registered!!

SDJerry is an unknown quantity at this point

My 08 Civic just sustained a broken motot mount. Found out via the same way others have, a vibration & noise while foot on brake and transmission shifted from P to R.

My independent mechanic of 20 years replaced it, parts & labor, for $341, and that's for an OEM mount. The OEM mount has oil in it and the aftermarket is solid rubber. My guy strongly suggested the OEM as being superior in quality, which was only $70 higher in cost.

$550 seems VERY high.
Old 10-10-2012
Registered!!

petros is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am in the UK and my 06 Civic Automatic iShift has recently let me down with a broken engine mount. The dealer here in states, " never had one of these fail before ".
It does seem however that quite a few people are having/have had the problem.

Since the mount has been replaced I have lost all the vibrations/juddering which I have been experiencing for some time, especially in reverse, ( I live on a hill and have to reverse uphill to leave my property) Until now I had put this down to wear and tear, but it does appear that the service agent has not discovered the cracked mount and has caused me to break down some 200 miles from home.

The cost in the UK by an official Honda dealer was £350.00 (UK pounds) plus recovery and large amounts of lost time.

The moral is, if you feel any vibrations check the engine mounts.
Old 12-26-2013
Registered!!

maximai is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem. I swear, this civic 08 model has a lot of problems. First is the driver seat sun visor. 2nd is the paint that peels off on the roof. And finally, it's the engine mount that I just had fixed for $400.
Old 12-26-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maximai
I swear, this civic 08 model has a lot of problems.
I wouldn't say that.
I've been around other brands of cars that really do have 'a lot of problems'.

First is the driver seat sun visor.
There's a warranty extension for visors.

2nd is the paint that peels off on the roof.
There's a warranty extension for paint.

And finally, it's the engine mount
They do that.

that I just had fixed for $400.
If you can't DIY, you pay someone else to do it.