Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

07 ignition coils

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wadeinde is an unknown quantity at this point
07 ignition coils

I have not found ANY info on ANY forums regarding ignition coil specs. what im looking for is info that you would get from the factory Helms manual regarding the resistance i should be getting by testing between the the coils 3 terminals.
also if there is any way to put a timing light on this car, considering there is no plug wires. id obvously be able to find the bad coil(s) that way too, and i trust that method more than a resistance test.

I have a pretty serious miss at 50% throttle or more, and my gas mileage is averaging about 26. i put new plugs in and tested the coils, each coil had different yet similar values so i have nothing to compare.
plugs did nothing, i have yet to pull them to see if any are fouled.

the car is completely stock EX 50,000 miles. just bought it from Honda with no warranty, didnt think id need it with a honda...

No engine lights no other problems and zero mods.

Last edited by wadeinde; 07-23-2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old 07-23-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 07 ignition coils

the actual resistance value is not that important. what matters is that all four coils have similar values, whatever that may be. if one is way off, thats the bad one. that being said, ignition coils usually last a long time and dont go bad. i would start with replacing the spark plugs (only ngk or denso brand, all others can cause missing). interesting that there is no engine light. its possible there is an exhaust leak in the header.
Old 07-23-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by wadeinde
i put new plugs in and tested the coils, each coil had different yet similar values so i have nothing to compare.
plugs did nothing, i have yet to pull them to see if any are fouled.

so you do not have the resistance values?
Old 07-23-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

no they are not listed in the honda manuals. if the values are similar, then they are all okay.
Old 07-25-2011
Registered!!

what classifies similar, within 1 ohm, 5 ohms, 10 ohms... they are within 3 of each other one that is questionably off....
there has to be a way of testing them, nothing last forever, you dont just replace things like that with out testing them. every helms manual i have ever used list EVERYTHING, ive had half a coil die and not throw an engine light and test similar to the other half. so im a bit skeptical about the if they're close they're ok theorem. how would honda test them?
Old 07-25-2011
Premium Member

well ignition coils are technically a lifetime part. if honda suspects a bad coil may be to blame, they would replace it with a new one. hardly anyone does troubleshooting on old parts anymore like they used to. if something seems bad, you throw it away and get another one. a more dangerous way would be to watch the coil spark.