Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2006 Civic SI

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
krikey is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 Civic SI

Hey fellas. I'm new here, so please don't start bashing me right away... I recently bought an 06 Civic SI, and the engine light has come on. I checked all the fluids, added maybe a pint of coolant, but everything else was peachy keen. After staring at this stupid engine light for 2 days, i called up my pal who has a hand held diagnostic computer. We hooked it up, and the code it spat at us was engine coolant temp. was too low. We let it cool off, and started it back up. It ran at 2K rpm's for a minute or 2, then went down to 1.5K, then finally down to 1K. So, we were thinking, the car knows its cold, then adjusted accordingly, as it warmed up. Meanwhile, the temp. never rose above 212 degrees (F). But, the fan never kicked on either. The heater blows hot air, so i don't think i have any blocked lines, and the temperature indicator registers a little below 1/2 way. We cleared the code, and the engine light didn't come back on for roughly 3 weeks. Well, its back on again. Any thoughts??
P.S.>> I tried resetting the scheduled maintenance thing by holding in the odometer button with the key in the on position, but no luck...

Thanks in Advance,
Krikey

Last edited by krikey; 04-30-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-30-2011
Registered!!

Re: 2006 Civic SI

P.S.>>
I tried resetting the regular maintenance light by holding the odometer reset button with the key on and still no luck. So, i'm guessing there has to be a bad switch in there somewhere. That, and i can't figure out how to delete this superfluous message i created either.

Last edited by krikey; 04-30-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-30-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

It's possible the engine coolant temp(ECT) sensor is messed up.
Old 04-30-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah if thats what the engine code said, replace the ECT. it affects how the car runs if its bad.
Old 05-07-2011
Registered!!

Well, Now the damn light has gone back off again. My big question is what temp. should the fans kick on? I'm going to replace the ECT anyway, but i suppose my big question, is why is it behaving like this? My guess is a fan should kick on before 212 deg.(f)?? So, at what temp should an civic SI fan kick on?
Old 05-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Check the thermistat- if it has one.

You better hope it doesn't look like this one: http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2928388