Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

Unusual steering noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
themacfreak1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unusual steering noise

I just bought a 2006 Civic EX with 35k miles on it and its a great car so far. However, I have noticed an annoying clicking sound when I turn my steering wheel. This occurs no matter if I am driving/in park/or engine turned off and turning it. Thus, its not the CV joints. I am unable to hear the noise from outside of the car only when I'm inside. The clicking/ticking occurs throughout the entire turn left or right. The clicking is faster if you turn the wheel faster. Does anyone know what that sound is?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 03-08-2011
Registered!!

Re: Unusual steering noise

Any ideas anyone? Thanks
Old 03-08-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Albion Boris
Not the tie rod. Could be the rack or the pinion. Question: Were the tires abnormally worn on the insides? If so, could signal the idler or Pittman arms. Only a mechanic will be able to correctly diagnose this problem by actually looking at the front end suspension.
Thanks for your response Albion Boris. The tires that are on it right now are really worn and old but they don't really look like they are worn specifically on the insides. If that is the case, do you know how much idler or pittman arms would cost me? I hope not much! Thanks for the help.
Old 03-09-2011
Registered!!

DknollRX7 is an unknown quantity at this point

A 2006 Civic should have a rack and pinion steering setup and therefore does not have an idler or pitman arm. Those components are wearable parts on an older steering setup referred to as a parallelogram steering setup. Does the sound seem like it's coming from inside the car...maybe even just behind the steering wheel? It may be the clock spring unit that sits behind the airbag and maintains electrical contacts as the steering wheel is turned. If you stop turning the wheel once the clicking noise is first heard and hold the steering wheel at that point, does the noise stop and only continue as you turn the wheel further? If so, then my best guess would bee your clock spring unit. Some are noisier than others. Hope that helps some
Old 03-09-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DknollRX7
A 2006 Civic should have a rack and pinion steering setup and therefore does not have an idler or pitman arm. Those components are wearable parts on an older steering setup referred to as a parallelogram steering setup. Does the sound seem like it's coming from inside the car...maybe even just behind the steering wheel? It may be the clock spring unit that sits behind the airbag and maintains electrical contacts as the steering wheel is turned. If you stop turning the wheel once the clicking noise is first heard and hold the steering wheel at that point, does the noise stop and only continue as you turn the wheel further? If so, then my best guess would bee your clock spring unit. Some are noisier than others. Hope that helps some
Thanks DknolRX7. The noise is only heard inside the car and I believe its heard evenly on both sides of the car. The noise does stop once I stop turning the wheel. Its very strange for sure. Thanks for you help.
Old 04-06-2011
Registered!!

fewall11b will become famous soon enough

I had the same issue the sound was only coming from the inside of the car. The guy before be the whole car ghetto rigged. There was a lose cable with a clip on that was smacking the steering wheel cover.
Old 05-14-2011
Registered!!

feelingroovy is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting to read this today. I have been experiencing the same thing with my 2006 Civic Coupe. Wet day today and it sounded worse.... I am believing as well it is the Clock Spring, if you could let me know if you had it looked at and what it cost.... IT is an annoying sound!...
Old 06-29-2011
Registered!!

jagu270 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by feelingroovy
Interesting to read this today. I have been experiencing the same thing with my 2006 Civic Coupe. Wet day today and it sounded worse.... I am believing as well it is the Clock Spring, if you could let me know if you had it looked at and what it cost.... IT is an annoying sound!...
Hello everyone! I have a 2007 Civic EX sedan. I'm experiencing the same noise, but mine sounds more like if the cv joints were going bad. I checked all of the booths and they all seem to be intact, no leaks. It only makes it when the car is moving and turning. Can anybody tell me what is an average mileage per tank on these cars? An off course, what is the deal with that noise?