Regular Maintenance Post Questions/Information about Regular Maintenance here

Honda Long-Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant Type 2.

Old 01-03-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smmy195 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Honda Long-Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant Type 2.

I own a 2008 Honda Civic EX 1.8 Manual.

Don't ask me why I don't drive the Si. lol Up to now the Honda dealership was performing their free oil changes and topping off my fluids. That has ended, and I am ready to resume maintenance on my own (which I prefer).

The manual recommends I use the above named product for coolant, because any others may cause corrosion and cooling system malfunctions.

Is this fact, or just a scheme to continue to sell me their products?
Old 01-03-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Honda Long-Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant Type 2.

the honda coolant is very good, i would stick with it. and it should last 3-5 yrs. its important for keeping seals good (like waterpump seal) and keeping deposits from corroding the cooling system. if you go with a different brand, you need to do alot of research to be sure it meets the honda requirements for cooling system. many coolants contain harsh additives. most of the coolant substitutes ive seen cost even more than the honda stuff and are harder to find.
Old 01-03-2011
Registered!!

Thanks, I already called the local dealer and it's like 15 bucks for a gallon. I'ma just go with it.
Old 01-03-2011
Registered!!

Actually I have another question and I don't wanna start another thread for it.

Sparkplugs. There's nothing in the manual about changing those out. which i'm going to do at the next oil change here in the next few weeks.

I understand these models use individual coils for each cylinders now, so wires are gone. Is there anything to know about these sparkplugs?
Old 01-03-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its pretty easy. just remove the coil (take off wire cover, unplug, and remove nut), and spark plug is at the bottom. depending on budget, you can either use $2 copper plugs or $10 iridiums. most come pregapped, but stay with ngk or denso brand. i would tighten them to around 18 ft/lbs.
Old 01-03-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gearbox
its pretty easy. just remove the coil (take off wire cover, unplug, and remove nut), and spark plug is at the bottom. depending on budget, you can either use $2 copper plugs or $10 iridiums. most come pregapped, but stay with ngk or denso brand. i would tighten them to around 18 ft/lbs.
It's 13 ft-lbs or 18 N-m.

Gap is 0.039-0.043. Just because it says "pre-gaped" doesn't mean it's still gaped right by the time it gets to you.
Old 01-03-2011
Registered!!

Thanks gentlemen. I'll get back to ya'll with results when I return from vacation and perform the maintenance.
Old 01-03-2011
Premium Member

i know the manual says 13, but the plugs always loosen up in a month doing that so i go tighter.
Old 01-03-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gearbox
i know the manual says 13, but the plugs always loosen up in a month doing that so i go tighter.
Ah, gotcha.