Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

08 civic LX - auto trans - Intense vibration b/w 27-30 and 35-40 mph

Old 12-28-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
itsfighter is an unknown quantity at this point
08 civic LX - auto trans - Intense vibration b/w 27-30 and 35-40 mph

Hi I got a 08 civic LX - auto tran - 37K miles - I am getting an intense vibration in gas pedal and steering wheel when I try to maintain the speed b/w 25-30 or 35-40, the RPM lowers below 1500 and vibration starts. Just by pressing the gas pedal slightly the gear downshifts, rpm increases to 2000, sound changes and becomes smooth. This is my first honda and this vibration is annoying me . Is this normal ? Does anyone have faced this. Please suggest me. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-28-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: 08 civic LX - auto trans - Intense vibration b/w 27-30 and 35-40 mph

The vibration is occurring when the transmission is changing gears, so my thought would be a bad transmission mount bushing is causing the problem. I'd like to here what everyone else thinks though..
Old 12-29-2010
Registered!!

All 4 tires are new - Just replaced a month back. If bushing is bad why its dropping rpm?
Old 01-05-2011
Registered!!

I went to the dealer yesterday, as I expected he said can't recreate this problem so I went with him for the test drive and replicated the vibration. he said this is because the torque converter locking up the gears for fuel efficiency and its common and you will feel the same in all 4 cyl honda. He also said that this is bcoz of my slow and steady driving the torque converter shifts the gear and locks it up for fuel efficiency. He gave me a print out of following link and gave me the report as Working as designed and adviced to use.
http://www.boch.com/boch/bochimages/...PDFs/Y0472.pdf
Look at - Automatic Transmission Downshifts While Descending
Thanks
Old 01-22-2011
Registered!!

Actually what is torque converter lock up. My dealer said its for increasing fuel efficiency and its normal in civic. I am feeling some vibration in steering during this lockup. Is this normal? Is this related to cold temperature coz I started feeling this only after winter started..
Thanks"
Old 02-12-2011
acpiusa

acpiusa is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an '08 EX.. I'm experiecing something like that only after starting from a dead stop and slowly increasing speed up to about 15-17 mph and the tack is saying 1500/1600. It almost feel like I'm driving over a small washboard or very small close together rumble strip or driving on the surface of a golf ball. Hard to explain. Anyone? Feel free to email me also.. acpiusa@aol.com
Old 04-02-2011
Registered!!

Baffled_owner is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2009 Honda Civic LX which is giving me the exact same vibration problem. Just when the Tachometer hits around 1500 rpm when driving, the vibration kicks in. The vibration seems to resonate throughout the car chassis and can be felt noticeably on the steering wheel. The observed vibration gets more intense if the car is driving up an incline. As long as I keep the car going steady at 1500 rpm, the vibration will continue. However, as soon as I apply more gas causing the transmission to shift to a different gear, the vibration stops. The problem seems to only occur when gas is applied to keep the car going while the Tachometer reads roughly 1500 rpm. If the car is cruising without the gas pedal depressed, there is no vibration even when the Tach reads 1500 RPM. At times while the vibration was occuring I tried to ever so slightly press on the gas pedal to see how the vibration behaves. I found that sometimes the Tach would not move when a little more gas is applied, but the vibration gets more severe until the Tach meter suddenly jumps and gear shifting occurs. To me this smells like a transmission shifting issue. I took my car to the dealership and presented the issue to them. After checking the car for 2 days they came back with the response that the mechanic cannot duplicate the vibration while driving but did notice some engine vibration at the stated rpm while the car is in neutral position. They told me that Honda Tech center insisted it is normal. However, while my car was being serviced at the dealership, I got a courtesy car which is another Honda civic with 30,000 km on it (I believe it was a 2008 model). It drove very smoothly and did not have the vibration problem. So I suspect there is really a problem with my car but Honda is just not willing to admit it and fix it. What should I do from here on?
Old 11-18-2012
Registered!!

elal is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have Honda Civic LX-S, 47000 miles. 1 month ago I visited Boch Honda service center, they suggested to replace the brake pads and all tires. After that I feel consistent vibration (buzz) from the gas pedal and steering wheel, especially when going up, the steering wheel starts shaking at speed 50-60 mph. I visited service center several times, they said that replaced the tires 4 times (brand new), rebalanced the wheels. But vibration steel exists, I just cannot drive the car, it's very irritating. Another mechanic suggested to replace the engine mount, I did that, but it didn't help. What would you recommend me to do? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-25-2012
Registered!!

D Murphy is an unknown quantity at this point

It could be torque converter lock up or maybe and axle going bad.