Air Conditioning Post issues about air conditioning here

Very Poor Design for 2010 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paddywack is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Very Poor Design for 2010 Civic

My new 2010 Civic has just had its a/c condenser ruined by a small stone at a cost (not warranty) of nearly $1,200 to repair. The front air intake is low to the ground, and there is absolutely nothing protecting the condenser from stones or other road debris again ruining the part. When the damage occurred, I was driving on a highway - I can't imagine going far on a dirt road without sustaining damage

To compound matters, there are no parts available and it needs to be imported from Japan.

A warning - be very cautious about buying a Civic if you routinely drive on rough / dirt roads.

Technical solution? Maybe get the fly wire out!
Old 11-12-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Very Poor Design for 2010 Civic

it happens, almost every civic (and other make of car) has exposed condenser. otherwise it wouldnt get the air it needs to work. on my 2002 its completely open and i have taken a good amount of rocks on the highway but never anything that would break it. i think you just got unlucky with a big rock hitting in a bad spot. have you checked ebay for used part?
Old 11-12-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I've been on a dirt road (to access a hiking trail at Red Rock Canyon), and my a/c condenser is even more exposed than most, since I cut away at the bumper to fit an intercooler at one point in time.. The fins have taken considerable amount of damage, but nothing to warrant a replacement. Still blew cold air during the summer.

Name:  IMG_0365.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  92.4 KB
You can see how exposed it is, and how much abuse the fins have taken, but the "tube" portion of the condenser is still very much in tact.

I'm with gearbox and think you just got hit by a stroke of bad luck.. Sucks though that it cost so much..
Old 11-12-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

here you go, $100 shipped for a good condition used honda condenser. and $1200 is absurd. buy the part off ebay and walk into any shop that does AC work. i doubt it would cost more than $200 to install. even the most expensive shop you will still be paying under $500 for everything.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by gearbox; 11-12-2010 at 01:13 PM.