Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Nice New Starter, Strange New Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ellakk is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice New Starter, Strange New Noise

Hello all-

Hoping a tech or two can give me some advice before I walk into my local dealership and go ballistic (knowing nothing about my 2006 Civic EX).

I recently had the starter "go bad" and replaced by my local dealership. This was less than a month ago. Without going into too much detail I had a really bad experience with the dealership (it shouldn't take 4 business days to replace a starter and then tell me it isn't under warranty when I have a 7 year unlimited).

This morning I went to start the car and before the car starts there is this loud buzzing coming from the steering wheel area (opposite the ignition). The car does start. It just buzzes every time I go to start it. The sound is almost like when you played with little electric wires back in grade school and they made the hissing buzz.

So I think that maybe the solenoid isn't attached properly or there is some other issue obviously.

Any ideas? I'm thinking that they didn't do something right when replacing the starter and I'd like to know a little something before I start a war (I will NOT pay another deductible and I'd rather avoid this dealer entirely).

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 01-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DL1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Nice New Starter, Strange New Noise

I have a 2007 civic and it does this all the time.I get the same buzzing noise(starter cut relay) whenever I try to start the car, but it does not do it evertime I try to start it. This has beed going on sence i got the car. Maybe my starter is the problem. Was you car making the buzzing noise and not starting before the starter when out and they replaced the starter?
Old 01-14-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Nice New Starter, Strange New Noise

Originally Posted by ellakk
(it shouldn't take 4 business days to replace a starter and then tell me it isn't under warranty when I have a 7 year unlimited).
Yes, it can. I have no idea about YOUR dealership, but we get overnight parts delivery here, IF the warehouse has the part on hand. If not, then there is a wait. You also must order before the mid-afternoon cutoff time. Not too long ago, we only got a weekly stock order. You think 4 days is bad?
THEN you have to consider what time of day the parts arrive. THEN someone has to be free to actually replace it once the part gets there. There is other work to do in a shop besides YOUR car.

Few dealers will stock a starter because there isn't much need for it.

Anyway, that's all beyond your control.

This morning I went to start the car and before the car starts there is this loud buzzing coming from the steering wheel area (opposite the ignition). The car does start. It just buzzes every time I go to start it. The sound is almost like when you played with little electric wires back in grade school and they made the hissing buzz.
The noise is NOT new. It's been there all along, you just discovered it.
Totally normal when you turn the key too slow, it's the relay as stated above.
Turn the key faster is all you need to do.
No fix possible, they ALL can do it.
It is mentioned in an October 2001 Honda Service News article.

So I think that maybe the solenoid isn't attached properly or there is some other issue obviously.
Any ideas? I'm thinking that they didn't do something right when replacing the starter and I'd like to know a little something before I start a war (I will NOT pay another deductible and I'd rather avoid this dealer entirely).
Thanks in advance for any replies.
You don't have a leg to stand on about the car getting fixed.
You may have an issue with the handling of the warranty or the contract you bought.
One extended contract worth buying is a Hondacare, many others aren't worth the paper they are written on (JMHO).