Cracked block early R18 Overheating Post Information, Questions and issues with the cracking block on the early R18 type engine here.

Civic LX 2008 Oil Leak--please help

Old 12-05-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
debnc is an unknown quantity at this point
Civic LX 2008 Oil Leak--please help

Hi, I have a "bad oil leak" that was ID'd by a Walmart technician while he was changing the oil (confirmed by Honda this week). New Civic with 8500+ miles, oil changed twice. The dealer tells me they are going to pull the engine Monday. My concern is that I did not have a pleasant transaction with this dealer. I once took my car in with a concern and they disappeared the car for over 3 hours. A young mechanic there told me there was "no excuse" for how they had handled my car. One of the people I had the problem with at sale is now the manager.
My concerns:
-Pulling the engine will damage the car and lower the resale
-The dealership and evil manager will purposely mess something up that will take forever to straighten out.
Any thoughts/advice?
Old 12-05-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Civic LX 2008 Oil Leak--please help

very doubtful they would pull the engine. this is a recall issue and there is plenty of info about where the leaks come from.
Old 12-05-2008
Registered!!

I took the car to some reliable mechanics today and they said the engine would need to be removed if not replaced.
Old 12-05-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

where did they say it leaks? usually the oil pan seal and around the oil filter are the main spots. unless you lost alot of oil, the engine should be fine. not sure why they would replace a brand new engine.
Old 12-06-2008
Registered!!

they showed me on the car and on a diagram. i can't remember the words they used, but the oil is coming from around a rod that goes through the engine? it is coming from way up in there, and they said--not good. my other concern was sabotage by the evil dealer, but they said this was not something anybody would or could purposely do. two questions remain--should I try to get a different dealer to do it? should I try to get a different car somehow? everybody says the car will never be the same again.
Old 12-06-2008
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Take it to another dealer. Push for warranty fix.
Old 12-06-2008
Premium Member

yeah this really needs to get fixed under warranty, even if they need to put a new engine in. i would also go over to 8thcivic.com and see if they have more info about this. the 06+ civics have a ton of recalls, much worse than the 01-05 that we thought were bad at the time lol. these new hondas seem to be falling apart as soon as you drive off the lot.
Old 12-07-2008
Registered!!

Thank you, gearbox, for the link. seems like quite a few people have had exactly the same problem... gone are the days, I guess, when Hondas were trouble-free.
Old 04-02-2009
Registered!!

2007Civic is an unknown quantity at this point

My 2007 Honda Civic LX burnt over 3L of oil in under 10,000KM and less than 6 months. I don't think that's normal.
This is such a flaw with 8th generation Honda Civics. How can the efficiency be that bad. Brought it in to the dealership and they say that there is no leak. What else could it be?
Anyone else experience the same oil problem and what did you do?
Old 04-02-2009
Premium Member

i still think something major happened to honda starting with 2001 civics they are all falling apart esp the late models.
Old 08-30-2009
Registered!!

Legoutbass is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a similar problem. Just bought a 2009 EX Coupe in May. We noticed it was leaving puddles in the garage so I took it in to the dealer. They said it was a faulty power steering pump and put a new one in. A month later, the car is still leaking, though not as much. I took it in 2 days ago and it was diagnosed with a "porous" engine block. Probably wasn't the PS pump after all. They are pulling the block and replacing on Monday. The dealer has treated me well. I don't have any concerns about them right now. I've had the car 3 months and it only has 4300 miles on it. My biggest concern is resale, even if the problem is fixed now.
Old 08-30-2009
Premium Member

it wont affect resale, usually only major body damage will be reported and even then its hard to tell in most cases.
Old 08-30-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

hmm well the new block would have a different VIN?
Old 04-19-2010
Registered!!

cotton is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2007 lx same engine"r18" and my car is developing a leak coming from the side by the oil drain but then I noticed its coming from further up and then noticed part of the oil pan gasket sticking out. its getting looked at Tuesday but you might want to check if your gasket is !@#$% up.
Old 06-01-2011
Registered!!

rogersal3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have the Honda tech check the oil/air separator. There is a tech service bulletin on the 2008 civic to remove the oil/air separator plate, clean and reseal. Its at the back of the block above the rear engine mount. Seeps oil drop by drop that appear on the bottom of the rear engine bolts.
Old 06-06-2011
Registered!!

rogersal3 is an unknown quantity at this point

The air/oil separator leak also affect the 2009 civics.
Old 06-21-2011
Registered!!

08EX is an unknown quantity at this point

i still think something major happened to honda starting with 2001 civics they are all falling apart esp the late models.
Most US-built Civics are made in East Liberty, OH. I wish it weren't true, but I heard quality went to hell when they switched to US parts suppliers. I've had several jobs in manufacturing and quality is usually an afterthought.
Old 03-10-2021
Registered!!

Daryl Bird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
hmm well the new block would have a different VIN?
when a engine is replaced on a import car there is no engine number's stamped on the block. Doesmestic cars at one time did this but Japanese imports no .. o engine number stamped
Old 03-10-2021
Click Here

Received 1,150 Likes on 898 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Daryl Bird
when a engine is replaced on a import car there is no engine number's stamped on the block. Doesmestic cars at one time did this but Japanese imports no .. o engine number stamped
Completely ignoring the fact you revived a 10-year old thread unnecessarily, I don’t believe you’re correct. I’ve seen plenty of JDM import engines with the engine code stamped on them.