Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

2005 Civic Dx brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jenjen is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation 2005 Civic Dx brake lights

Help! I have a 2005 Honda Civic Dx with bad brake lights. The driver side tail light works but the passenger side does not and neither of the brake lights come on when I press the brake. I have changed the bulbs (twice) and even changed the fuse (twice). The light bar in the rear window comes on but as for the rest of it, nothing.

Why would one tail light work but neither brake light? What am I missing here? Any help or advice is appreciated. I work long hours 6-7 days a week and just have no time to get it to a mechanic. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-24-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2005 Civic Dx brake lights

Own a DMM or 12V test light ??

Start at the brake/tail socket and work forward.
Old 02-24-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jenjen is an unknown quantity at this point

I do have a DMM and will try that on the one tail light that isn't working at all. I am still baffled as to why the brake lights are not working on the other side if the tail light is. It's the same bulb. Thank you for the advice.
Old 02-25-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

2 outside bulbs are 1 bulb with 2 filaments inside and 2 circuits. Brake & Tail circuits.

The brake wire color is WHT/BLK... and at some point back there junctions to a single wire forward, and your high mount works.
Old 02-25-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Does the center brake light work? If not, why not?