Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Replacing security light with mini camera [1995 LX]

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DaHonDa is an unknown quantity at this point
Replacing security light with mini camera [1995 LX]

Hello, I bought a 1995 Civic LX second-hand, so I'm not sure if this security light and rectangular "cut-out" is OEM or a post-purchase modification. Which is it?

I tried to have the rectangular thing pop out, as you can see in the 2nd pic. But I can't pull it out much further. The wire must be short.

Some questions:
1. How can I pull it much further, so that I can remove and replace the light?
2. What would the electrical specs of the power be (volts, amps, etc?)
3. What dimensions (of the hole) am I working with (minimum or maximum dimensions)?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170201_151235.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	413.5 KB
ID:	89531   Click image for larger version

Name:	32095252693_5ed3dc2569_z.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	89532  
Old 02-15-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Replacing security light with mini camera [1995 LX]

looks like a factory panel drilled out for the LED. Since you have an LX, that panel probably has some switches or buttons (e.g. sunroof, fog lights, other factory options) on the higher trim level counterparts.

1) Dunno. Try to see if you can access it from below. There's a good chance that it's snaking its way underneath the dash.

2) If it's coming from an alarm module, not much. The circuitry is likely supplying 3.2V at like 10ma. Just enough for the LED to illuminate/blink.

3) Whoever installed the LED probably used a 1/4" drill bit to mount grommet, assuming it's a 5mm LED. The grommet is probably just friction mounted into that panel, since it probably looks like this along its body (image source: google images, ebay listing)

I'd bet you could take a blade or even your fingernails and wiggle that thing out of the panel, but you'd still have limited travel due to the seemingly short wire. As mentioned in the first answer I supplied, track down the wire, find the connection under the dash. Unplug from supposed module and you'll likely be able to remove the panel completely.

Hope all that helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	5mmledholder_1.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	89533