Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Ecu lo6

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kmarolla is an unknown quantity at this point
Ecu lo6

I need some help. I took my 2003 civic lx into the shop because it's in limp mode. It has a 1.7 with a 5 speed manual transmission. They told me that the ecu (37820-plm-lo6) is shot. They said since it's an LO6 that it was a dealer only part and would cost over $1000 to fix. I've talked to numerous people and some say that anything from a LO2 to an LO7 would work. Just got to get it flashed. So I got an LO5 out of a junkyard. Before I spend the money to get it flashed does anyone know if it will work or do I need to find an LO6.
THANK YOU
Old 10-04-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ecu lo6

Someone had better locate the ROOT CAUSE of the ECM failure before you burn up another one. These don't normally go bad for no reason at all.

Did someone leave the alternator mounting bolts loose? That's the #1 cause of ruined PCMs in 7th gens.
Corroded alternator mounts/brackets and bad ground cable and connections for the engine/trans are a close second.

I can't help much with the part numbers, but I'd expect a unit for 01-03/non-VTEC/manual trans and correct matching emissions type (Calif emissions, or USA, or Canada) would be ok
Old 10-04-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Someone had better locate the ROOT CAUSE of the ECM failure before you burn up another one. These don't normally go bad for no reason at all.

Did someone leave the alternator mounting bolts loose? That's the #1 cause of ruined PCMs in 7th gens.
Corroded alternator mounts/brackets and bad ground cable and connections for the engine/trans are a close second.

I can't help much with the part numbers, but I'd expect a unit for 01-03/non-VTEC/manual trans and correct matching emissions type (Calif emissions, or USA, or Canada) would be ok
Yes the alternator bolt was stripped out and caused the belt to flop around. That caused the ecm to burn up. Got that fixed. Now hopefully the LO5 can be flashed to work with my car.

Thank you for your help
Old 10-25-2016
Registered!!

Brandon Sukhu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kmarolla
Yes the alternator bolt was stripped out and caused the belt to flop around. That caused the ecm to burn up. Got that fixed. Now hopefully the LO5 can be flashed to work with my car.

Thank you for your help
Hey I have the same problem,did that one digit effect anything? Or is the car running?
Old 10-25-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Brandon Sukhu
Hey I have the same problem,did that one digit effect anything? Or is the car running?
Yes it did. The first computer didn't work. It was an lo5. Got the lo6 and after another $100 to have it flashed it worked.
Old 10-25-2016
Registered!!

Yes it did. The first computer didn't work. It was an lo5. Got the lo6 and after another $100 to have it flashed it worked.
Damn okk quick question... when I take my car to get the ecu flashed, should I have the new ecu ready in the car bolted in or do they need it out of the car? I'm just trying to save $
Old 10-25-2016
Registered!!

Damn okk quick question... when I take my car to get the ecu flashed, should I have the new ecu ready in the car bolted in or do they need it out of the car? I'm just trying to save $
My place didn't matter. It was a flat $100. Installed or not.
Old 10-25-2016
Registered!!

My place didn't matter. It was a flat $100. Installed or not.
Was yours already in? If so did they need to remove it to flash it? Idk how it works lol,
Old 10-25-2016
Registered!!

Was yours already in? If so did they need to remove it to flash it? Idk how it works lol,
No I couldn't drive it over there if it was already installed. The keys are chipped to the computer that's already under the car.
Old 10-25-2016
Registered!!

No I couldn't drive it over there if it was already installed. The keys are chipped to the computer that's already under the car.
Oh so you drove it there in limp mode??? I was thinking if I should do that or not lol I feel like it will mess something else up. If I get access to my buddy's flat bed I'm gonna install it myself I guess.
Old 10-25-2016
Registered!!

Oh so you drove it there in limp mode??? I was thinking if I should do that or not lol I feel like it will mess something else up. If I get access to my buddy's flat bed I'm gonna install it myself I guess.
Yeah I had no trouble driving it in limp mode. The auto electric shop I took it to was only a mile away. Talk to whomever you're taking it to first and see what they prefer you to do