Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Battery corrosion

Old 08-24-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arcadius is an unknown quantity at this point
Battery corrosion

So recently I've been looking at a couple of videos on how to clean your battery terminals and posts. I went to check my battery to see the condition of the terminals and the positive terminal is pretty corroded. The bolt on the screw of the positive terminal is pretty much gone and it doesn't seem that my socket wrench will work. Is there any way I can get the terminal off? I know I'm going to need a new positive terminal by the looks of it.
This may also explain why my radio plays low on high volumes and why the volume increases only when I drive.

The only reason why I haven't really touch the battery is because I have a busy week ahead of me and I'm going to need my car. So I don't want to screw anything up incase there's another part needed or if something else is wrong
2006 Civic Lx coupe

Thanks
https://plus.google.com/116257920370...ts/7XReNTygviA

Last edited by Arcadius; 08-24-2016 at 01:52 PM. Reason: No picture
Old 08-24-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Battery corrosion

Originally Posted by Arcadius
So recently I've been looking at a couple of videos on how to clean your battery terminals and posts. I went to check my battery to see the condition of the terminals and the positive terminal is pretty corroded. The bolt on the screw of the positive terminal is pretty much gone and it doesn't seem that my socket wrench will work. Is there any way I can get the terminal off? I know I'm going to need a new positive terminal by the looks of it.
Don't need anything fancy for this.

Mix up a batch of plain tap water and baking soda.
A pint may be plenty, and if you need more you can make more.

Pour it on the corroded terminal(s). Lift or remove the plastic cover so it can reach everything.

Let the stuff sit and bubble.
When it quits bubbling, pour some more on and let it bubble.
Repeat until it's pretty much eaten the blue growies away.
You can use a stiff bristle brush (preferably not metal) to scrub it, that helps too.
Rinse with plain water.

Then see how much damage has been done to the cable end.

Remove cable from battery post.
I might mix up a small cup of the water/baking soda mix and just dunk the cable end in the cup and let it sit like that for a while.

Use battery post brush to clean posts and cable ends.

The REASON, the ROOT CAUSE of the corrosion that has set in, is the battery is leaking sulfuric acid. Battery acid is seeping up between the plastic battery housing and the lead battery post.

This may also explain why my radio plays low on high volumes and why the volume increases only when I drive.
2006 Civic Lx coupe
Adjust the SCV setting in the radio. See page 120 in your owners manual.

HTH
Old 08-25-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arcadius is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Battery corrosion

Thanks for advice, appreciate it!