Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Passenger window issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keithkvh is an unknown quantity at this point
Passenger window issues

My 2000 Civic LX passenger power window in not working correctly. It will roll up but will not roll down. I have replaced the window motor and regulator with a brand new one, no change. I have checked all the switches to make sure they work and have swapped in other known good switches to make sure and still will not roll down. I can jumper the connector to the passenger door switch and make it roll down but will not work with switch installed. I have checked all fuses under the dash and they are all good as well. Any helpful thoughts
Old 06-27-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Passenger window issues

Check for broken wires in the door jamb area harnesses, drivers door and pass door.

You should get a wiring diagram and volt-ohm meter?
Old 07-17-2016
Registered!!

rovingmagpie is an unknown quantity at this point

Start here: Pull the boot where the harness enters the frame from the door, disconnect that connector and check continuity between there and the switch in the door. You'll have to pull the door panel to get access to that connector. Check each wire, color by color. The two thickest wires power the window motor, sounds like one of them is broken.

Continuity meters are cheap. The Haynes manual doesn't cost much (or check your library) and has a decent wiring diagram.
Old 08-02-2016
Registered!!

robjcivic is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughter's 2002 Civic coupe just started doing the same. The passenger window will only go up and only by the passenger door switch. I can reverse the two wires to the motor with jumpers and the window will go down when you put the switch on the up position.

Nothing happens when the switch is in the down position whether the wiring is plugged in normal or if it's reverse jumped.

The drivers switch seems to Non-functional to the passenger window either way.

Is the driver window switch a master switch that can fail and cause the remote switch to also malfunction? I remember some older US cars that had a master switch.

I'm surprised the passenger side switch has so many wires to it but only two go to the motor. Makes me suspicious that it's a complicated affair where failures may be difficult to diagnose. Not a simple switch where you measure for 12 volts or zero volts or continuity. I'm just sure how to begin testing these switches. Maybe head to the boneyard and pick one up of each.
Old 08-02-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Is the driver window switch a master switch that can fail and cause the remote switch to also malfunction?
That's just one of many different ways it can fail.

I'm surprised the passenger side switch has so many wires to it but only two go to the motor.
Makes me suspicious that it's a complicated affair where failures may be difficult to diagnose.
It gets a whole lot simpler if you can read and follow a wiring diagram (and get an accurate diagram in the first place)
Old 08-03-2016
Registered!!

Yeah. I was thinking about that this morning on the way to work and the motor has to get signals from the driver switch too. I'll find a diagram and check it out. My daily driver is a restored 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger. Very simple wiring.
Old 08-03-2016

Originally Posted by robjcivic
My daily driver is a restored 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger. Very simple wiring.
Nice! You must not live in the rust belt.
Old 08-04-2016
Registered!!

We're in Northern California. Hot and dry. Looked a couple years for the right Dart. Found one that spent it's life as a grocery getter. The couple used his car to travel and the Dart was hers. He passed and she sold it at 93 years old. Gertrude "Trudy" Delma Bell. Rust free and no body work. Everybody needs at least one of those finds in their life. Anyway it doesn't look much like it did when she had it and it's a ton of fun.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread. My daughter will be back at the end of the month so I can hopefully find the cause of the non-working window. Is this window issue a semi common problem?
Old 08-04-2016

Is this window issue a semi common problem?
Not in a predictable way.

It's more in the "**** happens" area, problems could be caused by any number of things. Just gotta diagnose it to see why it doesn't work.

If you had a 96-2000 Civic I'd always guess at broken wires first, because they are all doing it and have been for several years. (your 02 is a completely different car though, it does not have the same batch of problems)

I might move your batch of posts since you have a 7th gen car... and this thread started out about 6th gen car.
Old 08-04-2016
Registered!!

Thanks. I was trying to figure out what generation it was as there are so many now and the generation headings don't list years.
Old 08-04-2016

Thanks. I was trying to figure out what generation it was as there are so many now and the generation headings don't list years.
When I first came to this forum it took me a minute to figure out the different generations too.
A generation is a body style production run, most body styles were made for about 5 years in a row, with a notable exception being the 9th gen Civics (4 years).
91-95 = 5th gen
96-00 = 6th gen
01-05 = 7th gen
06-11 = 8th gen
12-15 = 9th gen
2016- = 10th gen

As a professional tech in the field, I don't normally refer to Hondas cars by generation during the course of my usual duties.
I have to deal with exact years and trim and body styles or specific VIN numbers, among other exact info.