Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Amp Cooling Fan?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008
Diamond Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light
Amp Cooling Fan?

As soon as I get my last Alpine amp for the subs, I plan to recess both amps into the spare tire well beneath a piece of plexiglass. However, my Alpine 4-Channel amp bridged to a 2 channel amp putting out 400rms gets hot after playing at a VERY VERY high volume after about 6 mins. But the only time I have it this loud is if Im using my car stereo as mobile stereo. But Im worried that if it runs that hot in open air trunk, itll probably get hotter beneath a plexiglass window. Can i put some type of fan down there?
Like a computer cooling fan maybe?
Old 05-07-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amp Cooling Fan?

well moving the air around isnt really gonna help that much. its still trapped down there, and the exhaust heats the floor up too. so idk, just dont do it lol.
Old 05-07-2008
Diamond Member

Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

haha but itll look cool!! but i just kinda want it outta the way, and its a nice looking amp, so i wanna show it off at the same time. and my box takes up half my trunk so i figured id put a vent for inflow/outflow and maybe diamond plated floormats down there
Old 05-07-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

just stuff it under the seat lol
Old 05-07-2008
Diamond Member

haha already had it under the seat.....

n i like to constantly adjust my amps, so that was too much hassle. I like to experiment
Old 05-09-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wpattie is an unknown quantity at this point

well if ya like to adjust your amps alot, then wont put them under plexi glass and diamond studded floor mats make em harder to get too? lol just buggin ya, sounds pretty rad. I would suggest a fan in the plexi glass, maybe two if its a big problem. like one blowing air in and one blowing out. You can use bigger computer fans, just have them fused properly. Its cool cuz you can get fans with LEDs and ****... sorry, i was picturing the things u could do in my mind, have fun with this one!!
Old 05-09-2008
Diamond Member

ha that acutally sounds pretty cool. n i figured id just putt the plexi glass panel on a hinge (like a trap door) so i could get to both the spare tire and the amps.
Old 05-09-2008
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

I think the biggest issue would be finding a reservoir of air cooler than the air surrounding your amps.
Old 05-10-2008
Registered!!

WgnrNick will become famous soon enoughWgnrNick will become famous soon enough

I have the solution!

Fans #1 and #2 face down so they shoot air in and fans #3 and #4 face up so they shoot air out. Use computer fans (as for wiring... Uh... Find how to convert to 12v if they aren't already, I have no idea what they are, lol).
Just use the plexiglass and cut 4 holes in the top and have the fans in the holes. Just put the holes close to the edge so that you can run the wires out the side without being seen. Should work if you use like 80mm fans. Best of luck! Hope this helps!

Wagner
Old 05-10-2008
Diamond Member

exactly what i was looking for for a pic! intake n exhaust. you get it
Old 05-11-2008
Registered!!

It should work 80mm fans put in and out a fair amount of air and they only run about $15per (most are like $13). The hard part is the wiring. I don't know what kind of power they need... If there 12v (which for some reason I doubt but I could be wrong) then it would be easy. If not converting may or may not be hard. You can always bump up to 120mm fans or just add 2 more fans. But I think 4 80mm fans should be good for what your looking for.

Also, are you thinking about putting some kind of glow in there? If so streetglow makes some flat LEDs that would work great and also you can get glowing fans too to match the color if you decide to do that. Ha, thinking all this up has me wanting to do this to my car. Hope that this helps!

Ah... Just rad your hinge idea, I'll try to think up something that will work for your spare and the access to the amps.

Wagner
Old 05-11-2008
Registered!!

Ok... Phew....

So this is the overview. Pretty straight forward. Do the whole thing in carpet except for the box for the amp (plexiglass)

Detail from the side. Have Hinge #2 be the hinge seen in the above pic. That one will swing up at about a 60degree (you can always adjust as you want). Then have hinge #1 be just the top of the plexiglass. You can hide the hinge under the carpet and that will allow you access to the sub. The sub enclosure will have to be reinforced to be able for it to swing up without ripping off (just use some L brackets that should work). As for the wires just run them out the back (I put them in red). Make sure to leave some slack for how hinge #2 will swing up to give you access to the spare. The wires you can then attach to the bottom of whatever material you are using for the flooring and then just run them out behind the subs.
This should look mad clean and be functional for both the amp and the spare.
Damn, I want to really do this now, lol.
If you have any questions just ask I'm sure I could think up something if there are any problems. Hope this helps!

Wagner

Last edited by WgnrNick; 05-11-2008 at 12:38 AM.
Old 05-11-2008
Registered!!

FGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to all

ive seen PC fans that are 12VDC, so find those and wire it to your ACC
Old 05-11-2008
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

www.orionfans.com
Old 05-12-2008
Diamond Member

thanks for everything everyone! ive started the project and will post pics hwen donee. plexiglass is NOT cheap. geesh.
Old 05-12-2008
Registered!!

Yea, plexi is pricey. Can't wait for the pics! Best of luck!

Wagner
Old 05-14-2008
Registered!!

Wpattie is an unknown quantity at this point

PC fans are 12V, but ya gotta watch the amount of amps your feedin them or else they will spin really super fast for about 5 secounds. I did that once before and it sound like a remote control airplane taking off... and then smelt real bad.
Old 05-16-2008
Diamond Member

thanks!
started 'glassing the box yesterday. fiberglass is actually really cool.
ive also decided since my box goes all the way from wall to wall on the trunk, im not gnna put a floor under it.
Old 05-17-2008
Registered!!

Hmm... I can't wait for this to be done.

Wagner
Old 01-26-2009
Registered!!

Johnny Galan is an unknown quantity at this point

I work at an audio shop in KC and I have done this several times with many sound systems after customer requests what i have done is simple. I measure the amp and make a plexy-glass frame for mounting the fans. I go to CompUsa and buy the 12v Pc cooling fans and they work great. I then bridge the fans into the remote wire going into the amp and then simply ground them. Then Mount the fans into the plexy-glass frame and screw down the amp. They work great and I have had many customers come back saying that It works amazing. I also have used a direct power line from the battery with a fuze and switch for the fans and it seems to work a bit better... Really its up to u. If u want info from me just ask!