Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

Suggestions needed for rotors/pads/seized caliper etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016
33-
r0x a black c1v1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
33- is an unknown quantity at this point
Suggestions needed for rotors/pads/seized caliper etc.

First time I've ever had a car fail inspection. Ugh!

I've got a 2008 Honda Civic Coupe, EX
Going to need 2 rear rotors, a new 'Left-Rear Caliper Assembly'... & brake pads front & back.

My 1st question is, what are my "best bang for the buck" options for the rear rotors & front/rear brake pads?

2nd question... this seized caliper, is it worth trying to fix? Or should I just plan on replacing the entire assembly & if so... what company (online) should I be buying it from? Does it need to be 'factory' or whats your experience on that?

Thnx guys!
Old 03-09-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggestions needed for rotors/pads/seized caliper etc.

2nd question... this seized caliper, is it worth trying to fix? Or should I just plan on replacing the entire assembly
Depends on how it failed.
Did the piston seize?
Is it leaking?
Did a slide pin seize? (I can usually get those freed up with heat, and the little rubber boots are cheap aftermarket if you can find them. Clean up and grease and it's good for another set of pads)

Does it need to be 'factory' or whats your experience on that?
Doesn't NEED to be factory, but sometimes it's a better deal. They are usually remans just like at the parts store BUT Hondas caliper should come with the bracket and slide pins and all the clips--- and won't be covered in rust after the first week LOL

Aftermarkets sometimes only give you the caliper by itself, no bracket or slides...those are extra. Each place seems to have different choices, so check them all out.
I see a lot of crap from the parts stores when we do have to go that route... a real common one is calipers that have been dropped and now have a bent mounting ear so when you tighten the bolts it binds up (had to try 3 when I needed one for the GFs Fit) and that one was bare metal and was covered in rust in a week. Looks horrible but at least it's still working 6 months later.

Watch out for mis-boxed calipers... If you stick a left on the right you'll never get all the air bled out.

Last edited by ezone; 03-10-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-10-2016
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

For a major safety component, and especially if you are not mechanically inclined, I would highly suggest OEM parts.
Old 03-10-2016
33-
r0x a black c1v1

Originally Posted by ezone
Depends on how it failed.
Did the piston seize?
Is it leaking?
Did a slide pin seize? (I can usually get those freed up with heat, and the little rubber boots are cheap aftermarket if you can find them. Clean up and grease and it's good for another set of pads)

Doesn't NEED to be factory, but sometimes it's a better deal. They are remans just like at the parts store BUT Hondas caliper should come with the bracket and slide pins and all the clips--- and won't be covered in rust after the first week LOL

Aftermarkets sometimes only give you the caliper by itself, no bracket or slides...those are extra. Each place seems to have different choices, so check them all out.
I see a lot of crap from the parts stores when we do have to go that route... a real common one is calipers that have been dropped and now have a bent mounting ear so when you tighten the bolts it binds up (had to try 3 when I needed one for the GFs Fit) and that one was bare metal and was covered in rust in a week. Looks horrible but at least it's still working 6 months later.

Watch out for mis-boxed calipers... If you stick a left on the right you'll never get all the air bled out.

Ok thanks, I'm going to see if my dad can unseize the piston/slide pin first before I order $160 OEM caliper (43019-SNA-A10) Sounds like it's best to just spend the extra $100 if we can't get it unjammed?

Now, as for the rotors & pads... is this a good deal
http://www.jcwhitney.com/powerstop-o...&skuId=8568511

I'm going to replace all 4, I don't want to buy crap & I can't afford super expensive rotors/pads. Does this seem like a mid-range option?
Old 03-10-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 33-
Ok thanks, I'm going to see if my dad can unseize the piston/slide pin first before I order $160 OEM caliper (43019-SNA-A10)
I was mistaken in a previous post, apparently Honda doesn't offer a reman caliper for the rear of your car.

Sounds like it's best to just spend the extra $100 if we can't get it unjammed?
That's entirely up to you. Research all your options.

Consider also--- if something happened on one side right now, will the other side have the same problem soon?

Now, as for the rotors & pads... is this a good deal
http://www.jcwhitney.com/powerstop-o...&skuId=8568511

I'm going to replace all 4, I don't want to buy crap & I can't afford super expensive rotors/pads. Does this seem like a mid-range option?
I can't comment on aftermarkets....

I prefer to use factory pads whenever possible. Comebacks and noise complaints are almost nonexistent.

We resurface brake rotors at the shop too. Not really a need to replace rotors every time.
Old 03-13-2016
33-
r0x a black c1v1

Originally Posted by ezone
I prefer to use factory pads whenever possible. Comebacks and noise complaints are almost nonexistent.

We resurface brake rotors at the shop too. Not really a need to replace rotors every time.

Cool, thanks for your help ezone!