Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

2007 Civic tires to reduce road noise.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
linton23 is an unknown quantity at this point
2007 Civic tires to reduce road noise.

What tires do you recommend for a 2007 ex. The road noise is so bad my wife does not like riding in it. It has a set of cooper tires on it now.
Old 02-17-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2007 Civic tires to reduce road noise.

Not Coopers?

Has the rear camber problem been fixed?
Wheel bearings are ok?

I can't tell you what to get, but I can tell you some stuff to look for or avoid:

Do not choose directional tread.
Do not choose asymmetrical tread.

Choose symmetric tread pattern, this allows more servicing options.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=180

Choose a quality tire.

Choose a tire that does not have a large blocky tread pattern on the outer edges.

Huge cubes on the edges lead to chopping.
Finely sliced small blocks on the edges are preferable.

Probably a touring tire, not a performance tire.

Blocky tread is bad, these would probably get noisy in 10k:

Better design choice IMO:

Rotate tires religiously on schedule.
Almost any tire can get noisy if ignored and abused long enough.

HTH
Old 02-18-2015
Registered!!

I had everything checked last year and they found nothing out of alignment or wrong. The tires were brand new when I bought it 2 years ago.
Old 02-18-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by linton23
I had everything checked last year and they found nothing out of alignment or wrong.

The tires were brand new when I bought it 2 years ago.
Neither of these statements mean anything to me. I don't care what someone else told you, and It does not matter to me when your tires were installed.
(Though if you can post the alignment results, I'd like to take a look at the numbers.)

Your car has a problem that apparently needs attention, this is how we address it:

Is the noise directly attributed to tire condition?
(Specifically, tread chopping on the edges or diagonally across the face of the tread)

If yes:
Does the car have the updated rear upper control arms installed?
Old 02-18-2015
Registered!!

No on the thread wear. its even on the tires.
Old 02-18-2015

So tire tread is not choppy and loud?
These cars are famous for doing this to the rear tires.
Old 02-18-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
So tire tread is not choppy and loud?
These cars are famous for doing this to the rear tires.

The wear is smooth I had the tire shop check that last year and they could not find anything. I was expecting uneven wear on the rear but they did not see anything. Thats why I was asking about the tires to see if there was a recommended brand or style to help tone it down. I saw about the rear alignment issues and thats why i had the shop check it out last year.
Old 02-18-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

When my 05 was new I got noise pretty early and blamed it on tires. New tires at 34K and still had noise.....R front wheel bearing was bad.

My Harmonies have gotten noisy the last 1/3rd of rated 80k. X pattern every 5k, but think I should have rebalanced at some point. Lesson learned, but great tire.
Old 02-18-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

get a friend that have tire wheel that fits your car and swap for a day to see if they make noise?
Old 02-18-2015

What does it sound like? How loud is it?

Does it sound like an airplane flying beside you? Or....
Does it sound like a helicopter flying beside you?

Drive at 50 or whatever speed is loudest......Swerve hard within your lane side to side. Does the noise quit while swerving to either side?
Old 02-19-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
What does it sound like? How loud is it?

Does it sound like an airplane flying beside you? Or....
Does it sound like a helicopter flying beside you?

Drive at 50 or whatever speed is loudest......Swerve hard within your lane side to side. Does the noise quit while swerving to either side?
Its a constant roar like a plane. The noise does not quit but does change pitch.
Old 02-19-2015

I usually associate airplane noise with a bad wheel bearing.
Any mechanic worth a darn should be able to verify if it is bearing noise.

If you can get the wheels in the air you may be able to stethoscope them while they are spinning.
If it's a rear, I can spin them by hand and hear the bad one 99% of the time.
Old 03-02-2015
Registered!!

Well after its all said and done the tires were cross worn making the noise the rear control arms are aftermarket with adjustment and the new tires are 90% quieter. So now we see how they hold up.
Old 03-02-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Bridgestone - Ecopia EP422 $381 +60 +tax at Cosco. They rotate and balance (if you say balance) free ever 5K..road hazard included.. Running a set on my 2006 Civic and my CRV. Quieter then OEM on the CRV and the Michelin Winter I had on last year. They replace one of the Michelin with 40K for $20 pro rate under the road hazard since wife had driven it flat. They said it look OK but since she said she drove it, they did not want to take any chances. However, watch the time limit on warranty. It's 5 year or 65K on Ecopia. The Michelin was 80 and like I said at 40K, they replace one for $20 but after 5 years at 50K, they were no longer prorated. They still had good tread but I put the recent replaced one as a spare and got 4 Ecopia since Michelin were old and spare was OEM and the wife's car needs to be bulletproof. . My 06 Civic has the short upper A arms on the back and eats tires like a #2 Pedigree erasure and a first grader. Going to fix that next month hopefully. Interesting how in the latest service manual, Honda says it can be either camper reading on the back as OK. Sort of how FEMA got out of paying Sandy victim by saying damage was already there. Then the state came in and condemned the houses and tore them down . Left the home owners out in the cold paying 30 cents on the dollar and they could do nothing. Flood insurance is worthless.

Last edited by RIPSAW; 03-02-2015 at 04:57 PM.