Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

Real racing rims?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Question Real racing rims?

So I'm thinking about getting some rims finally.

But I dont want some 18 inch motegi 50lb rims... I've been looking on craigslist for months hoping to score a nice set- theres just a bunch of trash out there- its all the same ****, APC chrome type ****.

I'm looking for a set of rims to complements my NA build. That means they need to be superlightweight. Lets be honest, the D17 doesnt make enough to be wasting power on twirling some crazy heavy rims. Stylish would be nice as well.

My issue is this.. every site I look at is all about what the rim looks like. I want rim weights... I want to know whats good- what places sell the rims that the real performance drivers buy from? What is going to spin fast? Whats the downside to running the rims that drag cars use?

Maybe this is pointless and I'll just have to get the same crap as everyone else, but hopefully not. I'm going to be looking into this but thought I'd post to see if anyone has any interesting links, articles, or experience that'd be interesting or useful.
Old 03-17-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
InanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enoughInanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enough
Re: Real racing rims?

SSR Comps
Enkei RPF1

If you've got REALLY deep pockets, get some Kodiaks.
Old 03-17-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

If you want the weights, go here:

http://www.wheelweights.net/

You might want to re-think the super light weight thing, read this article, I know I changed my mind....

http://og-made.com/archives/1904
Old 07-23-2008
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

also
http://www.wheeldb.com/
Old 07-23-2008
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all

Damn I thought my 17" rims were 18lbs per wheel. That chart says they are 19lbs.
Old 07-23-2008
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold

You need to decide on a size. 15, 16, 17 inch? Width? Wider usually = better for racing. You can fit 8inch wide rims, but you may hit the rear trailing arm under a lot of lateral load.

Justin would probably be the best to talk about this with.
Old 07-23-2008
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

Run the smallest wheel that clears the brakes (15".... 14" race worthy tires are few and far between).
My top 3 for light weight and durability are
Regamaster Evos
TE37s
CE28Ns

On the cheap...
Kosei K1s
Rota Slipstreams
Team Dynamics Pro Race 1 or Pro Race 2

On the medium
Enkei RPF1
OZ Ultraleggera
Old 07-23-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

konig helium is only 11 lbs
Old 07-23-2008
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute

^^ ON the expensive...

Kodiac & Keizer.... through decidedly for track use only.
Old 07-23-2008
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Wow, these are great responses and are getting me to drool... unfortunately I started lookng at the expensive rims and went down the list, they just started lookng shittier and shittier... but thats what you get when you dont drop 1500 on a set, hehe.. oh dear.

So I was looking at Keizer's page... this instantly struck me as bad... what do you guys think? I mean, I know they are race rims, but honestly...

No Warranty Policy

Keizer Aluminum Wheel Makes NO warranties whatsoever, expressed or implied, oral or written, to purchasers. There is No warranty of any kind made to Purchasers. Ordering parts from Keizer Aluminum Wheels, Inc. is the sole responsibility o the purchaser and to his discretion the responsibility for the correctness of the application of the parts or for his use of the parts. Keizer Aluminum Wheels, Inc. produces no products, which carry a DOT certification. Not all wheel designs, produced be Keizer Aluminum Wheels, Inc., follow the guidelines set by the Tire & Rim association.
Old 07-23-2008
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TRIZ
Wow, these are great responses and are getting me to drool... unfortunately I started lookng at the expensive rims and went down the list, they just started lookng shittier and shittier... but thats what you get when you dont drop 1500 on a set, hehe.. oh dear.

So I was looking at Keizer's page... this instantly struck me as bad... what do you guys think? I mean, I know they are race rims, but honestly...
Going fast isnt intended to be pretty.... I'm hard pressed to find a race car on deep dish wheels with a polished lip
Old 07-23-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

saw this thread three times and passed it up, but this is some good info with good reads...
Old 07-23-2008
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold

these are my race rims!

Triz, I have the K1s and they are decent. If I had the cash, I would prefer a wheel that was 7.5 inches wide, in either 14 (very rare) or 15.
Old 07-23-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

thats gangsta
Old 07-23-2008
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute

Keizer is well known and pretty common in club racing, You see them a lot on Spec cars and IT cars. A friend of mine as an IT prepped Corolla with a set of Keizer wheels with the magnesium centers.... 13x8's, and they weighed a measly 6 LBS, according to him.

As far as looks... thats all subjective. (and a full set of Keizers or Kodiaks in 16-17"x8 is going to run you in the $2,000+ range)
Old 07-23-2008
Premium Member

So answer me this... a 14 inch rim and tire, will that weigh less then a 16 inch rim and tire? Common sense would say the 14 incher would be lighter with a tire, because rubber is ligther then metal.

anyone have any info/data on what real life tradeoffs would be as far as weight and speed are with increasing rim size?
Old 07-23-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

That's weird I didn't even notice that this was a second page to your original post.

I accidentally posted. I donno man.

just a random thought, what do you think would happen if you put helium in your tires? Ha ha, that would be weird right. Do you think it would reduce the weight of the wheel and tire combo?

Edited:
After searching the web for this idea turns out:
This was a stupid idea of course. Anyways, Guess I'll just stick with nitrogen

Last edited by Eyger; 07-24-2008 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-24-2008
Autocross Junky

Originally Posted by Eyger
That's weird I didn't even notice that this was a second page to your original post.

I accidentally posted. I donno man.

just a random thought, what do you think would happen if you put helium in your tires? Ha ha, that would be weird right. Do you think it would reduce the weight of the wheel and tire combo?

Edited:
After searching the web for this idea turns out:
This was a stupid idea of course. Anyways, Guess I'll just stick with nitrogen
Helium.... for starters the tire would lose Psi at a much greater rate. (Helium, He2, is a very small molecule)

Tires already loose Psi over time as the oxygen & argon slowly leak through the rubber.

Nitrogen would be a better choice here, as its natural state is a much larger molecule and therefore less seeps through the tire. Which is the prime reason why some tire shops offer it.

Other wise, it wouldn't matter, as I know you were thinking that Helium is lighter then "air" so wouldn't that make the tire lighter.... Problem here is that you are putting the gas under pressure, a good deal of pressure. which means a higher concentration of He2 because its so small, which means more weight. (You don't see tanks of He floating away do you?)
Old 07-24-2008
Registered!!

emjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the rough

5zigen fn01rc .. the ones i have are pretty light ...i think bout 12 lbs a wheel
Old 07-24-2008
Autocross Junky

So answer me this... a 14 inch rim and tire, will that weigh less then a 16 inch rim and tire? Common sense would say the 14 incher would be lighter with a tire, because rubber is ligther then metal.

anyone have any info/data on what real life tradeoffs would be as far as weight and speed are with increasing rim size?
the 14" setup could weigh less, or it may weigh about the same as the 16" setup.

The important part here is that the main mass, the wheel its self is closer to the center of rotation, which reduces that wheels rotational Inertia

The basic formula for estimating Rotational Inertia of a hoop goes like this.. I=m(r^2)

I = Inertia
M= Mass (weight)
r = Radius

So, compiring a 14" that weighs say 15lbs Vs a 16" Wheel that weighs 15lbs

15lbs = 6.8kg
14" = 35.6cm
16" = 40.6cm

so for the 14"
I = 6.8(17.8^2)
I = 6.8*316.84
I = 2154.512

for the 16"
I = 6.8(20.3^2)
I = 6.8*412.09
I = 2802.212

A 24% difference in rotational Inertia from just the wheel its self!

Now, as far as the upside of larger wheels. Well, most street tires have fairly flexible sidewalls which means the tire will distort more while under cornering loads giving you less overall traction then you could have had. Replacing this flexible rubber with relatively inflexible metal means the tire flexes less and you have the potential to make more traction.

So larger wheels will hinder acceleration & braking, but can help with cornering... if you are running tires with soft sidewalls.
Old 12-07-2008
Registered!!

00telehit is an unknown quantity at this point

Well i recommend you Advan wheels, i have Advan RS gold wheels , really light, used in japan, for circuit racing, made in 1oo% aluminum.

Advan RS GOld

or you can go with Advan RGll

or Advan TCll

[IMG]http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg123/andresbmw21/wheel_01.jpg
[/IMG]

and here are some pictures of how they look on the cars.

Old 12-08-2008
Registered!!

Fox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond repute

that car would be way nicer without the wing... lift off
Old 12-10-2008
Registered!!

2Slow4U is an unknown quantity at this point

i have centerline auto drags in 14", very light, they are the old school solid wheel...