Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

Brake Pad & Rotor DIY gone wrong!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mrb420 is an unknown quantity at this point
Brake Pad & Rotor DIY gone wrong!

So I was attempting to replace my brake pads and resurface the rotors today. A job that normally only takes an hour or so, quickly became a pain int he ***. I was trying to remove the upper caliper mounting bolt and found out it was siezed in place. I tried sparying it with WD-40 and using a socket wrench, I banged at it for nearly an hour. Finally notcied that the socket extender piece (made in the USA and gauranteed for life) had begun to bend and twist under the torque of my hammering blows.

I decided to quit the job before I ended up breaking the bolt head or something else. I will probably end up taking it to the dealer and pay $150 to replace my pads and machine the rotors; in the proccess, loosening the bolt.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?
Old 01-27-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Are you sure you're turning it in the right direction? Since the bolt is facing away from you, its going to feel opposite.
Use a longer wrench.
Those converters break all the time... I've busted a couple craftsman ones with long wrench handles.
Don't hammer on socket wrenches... either use an air impact gun, or a breaker bar.
Old 01-27-2007
Registered!!

Yeah, I am sure it was the right way. I even tried tightening it a little, but it did not move. It's location near the brake line makes it difficult to ge to with an impact driver or wrench. Plus, I don't have an air powered impact tool.
Old 02-02-2007
Registered!!

Should I just take it to the dealer or try and buy an impact tool and do it myself?

How much does a good impact wrench cost?
Old 02-02-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point
You can do the "poor man's" breaker bar. Slip a length of pipe on the end of your ratchet (or wrench) to give it some extra length. The higher up you have the car, the easier it will be to get more leverage with a longer wrench/ratchet/breaker. Try that first.

Applying heat to a stubborn bolt (blow torch) helps, but given the close proximity of the brake line, I either wouldn't or I'd be damn careful.

If you buy an impact wrench ($50-100 since you don't work in a mechanic shop should be fine) or ratchet ($25-30, check Ebay) it means that you will also have to buy a compressor if you don't already have one. Personally I love an excuse to buy more tools, but that may not work for you.

WD40 it, let it sit for an hour (its PENETRATING oil, give it a chance), and then get a breaker bar on it and she should come loose. Forget the dealer, IMO its a waste of money.