Exterior Post your issues with Exterior parts here! Exterior covers Body, Doors, Locks, Physical Removal/install lights, Hoods, fenders, etc. For Fundamentally Electrical issues, post on Electrical

Honda civic 2001 dx-sedan rear defroster

Old 02-06-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gulzarh will become famous soon enough
Honda civic 2001 dx-sedan rear defroster

i have Honda civic 2002 dx four door. his rear defroster is not working at all. when i press the button on there is light which stay on but Nothing happen behind.
any suggestion where to start. i want to repair it my self.
thanks
Old 02-06-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Honda civic 2001 dx-sedan rear defroster

At some point they began hiding the connections made to the glass behind the plastic panels.....are yours hidden ?

Own a DMM, or 12V test light ??
Old 02-06-2017
Registered!!

i can see all the little wire throug the rear glass, i dont have any test light or dmm
Old 02-06-2017

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Those are the heating grid lines (except for those towards the top that are the radio antenna)

It sounds like the main connections (switched power & ground path) are hidden on the sides behind panels for aesthetics. Those would be the best to check for voltage, and proper grounding.

I remember a while back that someone had issues with a connection in the black box under the back deck near the speaker.
Old 02-06-2017

Dis one.......https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...rear+defroster
Old 02-06-2017
Registered!!

i am going to buy the multimeter in next three hours, what exactly should i check and where to connect and where to set the multimeter setting? i has never used multimeter before?
Old 02-06-2017

The poster was not very clear about the actual fix utilized. Not sure if they are still around to explain or not.

Here is schematic.... hold off on DMM and try to locate the wiring/connector they mentioned... and use a visual inspection instead. Look for dark, or brown discoloration due to high heat from a poor connection.
Attached Files
Old 02-06-2017
Registered!!

i will try to see if there is circuit in the wire behind and will get you back in next 5 hours.
Old 02-06-2017
Registered!!

i have bought this multimeter, can you or someone tell me where should i place the Arrow and what voltage or amperage it should indicate while testing and how to test ?
thanks a lot i am newbie

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ma...-0520060p.html

i have one question, i see the ground wire between engine block and chasis is broken. does it concern to my problem? or this ground wire is not important?
if the problem is here, than can i use any electric wire to make the connection or it need specific kind of wire type?
what is mean by ''any electric wire '' is the home use power cord, can i cut it and connect it temporarly?

Last edited by gulzarh; 02-06-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-07-2017

DC Volts @ 20v, find good solid grounding place for black lead.

Get the broken ground lead from the dealer, it is not related to defrost inop.
Old 02-07-2017
Registered!!

i did but it show 0.00
when i used the battery booster cable as a ground cable between engine block and chassis than it show -0.00

Last edited by gulzarh; 02-07-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-07-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,120 Likes on 935 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Go watch some youtube videos on how to use a multimeter so you understand how they work. It will make diagnosing the problem much easier.
Old 02-07-2017

Use the V, Ohms jack as red lead & COM jack as the black minus/ground lead.

DO NOT USE THE 10A JACK

You would need key at II, and defroster turned on to have voltage present in that circuit.
Old 02-07-2017
Registered!!

yes i maked sure the arrow is on Voltage side on 20 as you mentonned before, the red is postiive and black is negative.
i have turned the rear defroster on full than i have touche red wire on the gride panel connector and black wire on ground, but it still show 0.00v it mean the current is not reaching the gride panel. i have also checked the fuse box under hood and under driver side and all the fuse look fine i have took them out one by one. i dont understand where can be the problem.
i have watched many many video on YouTube about this problem but none is answering me. that s why i open account on thiswebsite and asked the question.
Old 02-07-2017

Where are you probing for voltage ??

At the larger connections on the sides of window that provide voltage and ground path ?? Those would be best and only one side would have voltage as other side is grounded.
Old 02-07-2017
Registered!!

Yes, you were right I didn't know how to use multimeter. I know it now.
I did as you said and tested all the small lines one by one and all of them are showing 0.12 which mean it is good sign that there is current (I believe). So, can someone tell me where could be the problem?
Thanks

Last edited by gulzarh; 02-07-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-08-2017

Did you inspect the connector for discolor as in the link ?

0.12 is NOT the voltage you are looking for.
Old 02-08-2017
Registered!!

so what voltage it should be?
Old 02-08-2017

Engine off, around 12.0 V or so.

OP check the linked thread from cve, you need to locate that connector spoke of and concentrate on it since no voltage at glass.

Last edited by CraigW; 02-08-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-08-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Check the #11 fuse (30A) and the rear window defogger relay.
Old 02-08-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Engine off, around 12.0 V or so.

OP check the linked thread from cve, you need to locate that connector spoke of and concentrate on it since no voltage at glass.

how it will get current if the engine is off? should i put the key to ON position before testing?
when i did the last checkup i started the engine, turn ON the defroster/defoger than test it.
Old 02-09-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by NDNV
Check the #11 fuse (30A) and the rear window defogger relay.
i have test the fuse Under dash and it is good i even replace him with another one with same amp.
the relay Under Hood is good also and i can hear a little click also when i we press the defrogger button
Old 02-09-2017

Engine running, or key at II and defroster switch on. Either way will be around 12V

The indicator for defroster is lighting when switched on......correct ??
Old 02-09-2017
Registered!!

yeah it show ON thats correct.

Last edited by gulzarh; 02-09-2017 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-09-2017

Take the cover from the black box mounted on passenger side up near rear speakers, and locate the single pin connector with single black wire. Probe that terminal (should be able to get test lead into back of connector) Turn on defrost and measure voltage at it. If no voltage then you will have to work forward. Next inline would be the connector mentioned earlier.
Old 02-09-2017
Registered!!

will do it soon,
right now behin on the glass it show 0.07, i did it correctly, it mean there is not enough current.
Old 02-09-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Take the cover from the black box mounted on passenger side up near rear speakers, and locate the single pin connector with single black wire. Probe that terminal (should be able to get test lead into back of connector) Turn on defrost and measure voltage at it. If no voltage then you will have to work forward. Next inline would be the connector mentioned earlier.

sorry i didn't got it, which black box. everything is in gray colour in my car except the cd player and heat buttons.
Old 02-10-2017
Registered!!

can someone help me please?
Old 02-10-2017
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gulzarh
can someone help me please?
I think the black box is located in the trunk area under the shelf that holds the rear speakers. Did you look there? If not it might be under a plastic trim piece. Craig will be able to answer this better and I am sure he will be able to chime in soon.
Old 02-11-2017

.07V means you have no voltage present.

Next place back from the grid lines would be the black box, and the single pin connector with single black wire. Next back from that would be the multi pin
connector coming from up front.

The box is where mentioned....under the rear deck.

Search this Thread