How Long Do I Have Left?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minntana is an unknown quantity at this point
How Long Do I Have Left?

Curious how long these cars can be pushed and whether it's worth it to maintain.

I've got a 2004 Civic LX and it just turned 292,000 miles yesterday. I've been the only owner. It has mostly highway miles, I've always changed the oil every 3-5k miles, and changed the head gasket (along with timing belt, valve seals, and had the head surfaced (or decked?)) at 240k (Thanks to ezone and many others for the guidance there!).

It's been a great car and the only noticeable mechanical problem I can see is that it burns a quart of oil every 500-700 miles. I'm temporarily commuting 120 miles each way to work driving 70-80mph and have to traverse a mountain pass each way and it still gets about 29 mpg.

It currently needs new tires, brakes and rotors, and a new fuel filter. I don't really want this to be a project car, as I'm about to get a pickup to do that. I just want a reliable commuter, as it has been thus far. It blue books for about $1800. Would I be better off selling it now and getting a newer model or is there some $500 overhaul I could do and potentially get another 100k out of it? I feel bad getting rid of it but my rule has always been if the repair is more than half the value of the vehicle, get rid of it, but I kind of developed an attachment to this car. It just keeps going! What kind of issues might I be facing here after the 300k mark? I'm guessing anything. Just looking for some opinions. Thanks!
Old 06-14-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How Long Do I Have Left?

It really depends on a multitude of factors. I had a "spare" engine laying around and, after years of beating the crap out of my original engine, I refurbished the bottom end (had originally used the spare head for a head gasket change) and put it in my car. Before, my engine developed rod knock after it burned a quart of oil every 1000 miles. Now, 60k miles later, I have no noticeable oil loss.

That said, if you overhaul it then keep it maintained properly, I have no doubt it'll last at least another 100k.

Here's the real question: how much do you love your 2004?
Old 06-14-2016
Registered!!

assuming the top end work done is sufficient, as it was done 52k miles ago, what might I be looking at cost wise for the bottom end doing the work myself?
Old 06-16-2016
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

IMO you have gotten your $ worth on this car at that mileage. Good time to upgrade your ride before it leaves you stranded on those long commutes.
Old 06-17-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by NDNV
IMO you have gotten your $ worth on this car at that mileage. Good time to upgrade your ride before it leaves you stranded on those long commutes.
I was thinking about this today and that's the conclusion I came to. I'm gonna keep doing regular maintenance on it until it dies. And try for a newer one when it does. For now, I guess I'll see how much she can take.