Difference between Bearings OEM vs 'generic'

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014
TRUST me! I'm Idiot Proof!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura about
Post Difference between Bearings OEM vs 'generic'

Figured I'd share some of what I found after I screwed up two new 'National' brand, Advanced Auto bearings part number '510030'.
At $65 a pop

This is the first one, date code reads '144YL', and on the inside of the bearing the race or ball retainer or w/e its called looks like this:

Name:  IMAG1149_zps8842ac5c.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  33.6 KB

Name:  IMAG1153_zps9372386a.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  29.2 KB

The other bearing, SAME PART NUMBER, date code '133LL' looks like this:

Name:  IMAG1147_zps50f2ceb5.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  36.5 KB

Name:  IMAG1152_zps43addf9a.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  33.6 KB

So, TWO DIFFERENT designs in the same part? I guess National never thought somebody would mess up twice in a row and then admit it and take pictures of it to show the world their crappy bearings.

So I bought the OEM ones at $80 a pop. NTN bearing part number '14060518', translation to Honda P/N is '44300-S5A-008':

Name:  IMAG1154_zps5e0ed6d7.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  30.9 KB
Picture above is the trashed OEM bearing...the grease looks like anti-seize...

I got @ 150,000+ miles out of the OEM ones before they started to howl. No idea how long those 'National' brand ones would have lasted, or if one would have failed before the other since their technically two different designs?
Heck those were the more expensive option! They had even cheaper ones from China...'Advanced Auto' brand LOL

BTW I drive an 05 civic VP...
Old 12-16-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Difference between Bearings OEM vs 'generic'

Thanks for the pics!

Did you check out this thread:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...blem-help.html

His bearings lasted all of 2 days. I don't think he ever told where his parts came from.
Old 12-17-2014
TRUST me! I'm Idiot Proof!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura about

Yeah wow that sucks.
Pictures worth a thousand words, I always say LOL I try to not even bother with asking/commenting on much without one.
My take is that:
A- somebody installed the bearing backwards.
B- a race of some sort on the bearing wasn't supported during install and pushed out one side...got pics of that too lol
C- non OEM parts used.
D- bearing pressed in with too much force...it takes practice to know when something's actually 'bottomed out' aka when to stop, and not crush things with a 20 ton press. Cause its easy.

Hell without pictures its anyones guess!
Old 12-17-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BobDobolina
Yeah wow that sucks.
Pictures worth a thousand words, I always say LOL I try to not even bother with asking/commenting on much without one.
My take is that:
A- somebody installed the bearing backwards.
B- a race of some sort on the bearing wasn't supported during install and pushed out one side...got pics of that too lol
C- non OEM parts used.
D- bearing pressed in with too much force...it takes practice to know when something's actually 'bottomed out' aka when to stop, and not crush things with a 20 ton press. Cause its easy.

Hell without pictures its anyones guess!
The OP of the thread I linked was doing rear hub/bearing assembly, so no pressing and no way to get it backwards. Just cheapo bad parts I suspected were counterfeits of a well known brand name.