1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

95 Honda Civic, battery overcharging and all lights pulsating

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dbronc51 is an unknown quantity at this point
95 Honda Civic, battery overcharging and all lights pulsating

Hey guys, I've had this problem with my 95 Honda Civic coupe 1.5L 4cyl and it's been getting much worse as of late.

About a year ago I replaced my alternator with a re-manufactured one as my old one died.

7-8 months ago I noticed All lights (headlights. instrument, taillights etc) were pulsating ever-so slightly. Since then it has increased to the point where it's almost as if my hazards are flashing.
The pulsating is in rhythm with the sound of the engine belt

A week ago I tested my car voltage and at idle with just my headlights on and it was sitting around 15.6-16.5V, it is way overcharging and that number increased drastically when I accelerated the engine.

As well when my car isn't quite warmed up it will idle up and down, up and down, up and down. I can level out the idle by putting more of a load in the vehicle (turning more lights on, turning up blower). I believe this could be related

Any Ideas guys? I've been searching for a month through forums and such but my problem doesn't seem to match 100% with others posts. College student so running out and buying a new alternator to 'see' if it fixes it isn't really an option.

Final note: the car does have a bit of a misfire issue, I don't think it's related to the issue but I'm no expert. Thanks
Old 09-25-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 95 Honda Civic, battery overcharging and all lights pulsating

Sounds like another bad alternator.
Replacement alternator had lifetime warranty? One year? Are you past the warranty period?

If you had replaced it when the issue first began 7-8 months ago, would it have been under warranty (FREE)?
Old 09-26-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dbronc51 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Sounds like another bad alternator.
Replacement alternator had lifetime warranty? One year? Are you past the warranty period?

If you had replaced it when the issue first began 7-8 months ago, would it have been under warranty (FREE)?
So I took the alternator out, took it to the place where I bought it. They put it on the tester and it says it's just fine. It is under 5 year warranty.
When I rotate the alternator by hand it makes squeeking noises(unsure if that is related)
I am almost sure it is the alternator as well but they won't honour the warranty unless the alternator fails the test...
Old 09-26-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it passes their bench test (rolls eyes).
That does not mean it isn't bad, it just means that test didn't find the problem. Different test needed to prove problem.

Were all the bolts tight when you took it apart? None loose?

Reinstall alternator.
Make sure charging voltage is still too high and lights pulsate or whatever was happening. I assume this was a consistent issue, always present.

Drive the car there and have them do the charging system test (alternator on the car).
Or use your voltmeter (or one of theirs) to prove the charging voltage is way too high while running.

The idle issue is probably unrelated. Check for low coolant, stuck IAC valve, vacuum leaks, etc.