1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

Where to look next?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zealot Prime is an unknown quantity at this point
Where to look next?

Okay, so I have a EG with a motor swap that I've been on an odyssey of trying to figure out the issues on.

Previously, the car had an F23A in it. Around a year back I posted on here because I was having issues with it dying on me, replaced basically every fuel system and ignition component on the car, then found that a stupid kill switch the previous owner had added to the car had come disconnected and the car wasn't getting fuel. Fixed that, and the car started working again until earlier this year. Then the problem came back. At first occasional misfiring, then it started just dying when you'd hit the throttle to start off or downshift, and being very hard to get restarted. After trying a few more things, I got a leak down test done, and one of the cylinders showed bad, so I decided it was a great opportunity to upgrade. I ordered a H22A from an Accord Euro R and had it put into the car. Now I'm having even weirder problems.

The motor fires against the starter. It sounds like the battery is super dead and can barely crank, but if you disconnect the distributor, it cranks normally. If you advance the distributor all the way, the motor will sort of kind of run, but real rough and backfiring constantly. The tach also reads way higher than the engine is actually running. The engine's sputtering at probably less than 1k, but the tach is spiking all over the place, up to like 4 or 5k. Cam timing's been checked and is fine. I just tried a different distributor thinking maybe it's a position sensor or something (a used OEM TD-89u rather than the aftermarket one I had on there before). We've tried a different ECU, same issue. (it has a chipped P28) One of the shops I've taken it to told me when they hooked the noid light up to the injectors, they were firing really erratically. This makes me think that the ignition must also be firing erratically, thus the engine not running without hella advance, and the backfiring. One of the shops also told me the timing light showed the ignition timing to be correct, which is obviously not the case unless it's firing at the right time and also earlier in the cycle as well.

At this point, I'm thinking it must be wiring, but where do I start looking? What sort of faulty wiring could cause an issue like this? The harness seems to have been converted to OBD 2a for the F motor (I bought the car with that motor, so I'm not real sure of the details on the original swap), and mostly left as it was for the H, just with a few things made longer as necessary.
Old 08-29-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zealot Prime is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Where to look next?

I should add that there's no codes being thrown.
Old 09-05-2016
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Where to look next?

Is it possible the engine either by you or the previous owner is not setup right with timing; are you sure the camshafts are in the right position with the crank?