6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Metallic tinkling sound coming from exterior

Old 04-10-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alex Willett is an unknown quantity at this point
Metallic tinkling sound coming from exterior

For the past week or so I've noticed a tinkling sound, almost like a thumb piano, or a pinball machine, coming from the exterior of the car. It seems to only happen when I'm accelerating, usually just in the first three gears, but it doesn't happen when decelerating, or when I get to the fourth gear. FYI 2000 Civic LX automatic. Anyone have any clue what it could be?
Old 04-11-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Metallic tinkling sound coming from exterior

Originally Posted by Alex Willett
For the past week or so I've noticed a tinkling sound, almost like a thumb piano, or a pinball machine, coming from the exterior of the car. It seems to only happen when I'm accelerating, usually just in the first three gears, but it doesn't happen when decelerating, or when I get to the fourth gear. FYI 2000 Civic LX automatic. Anyone have any clue what it could be?
Might be the a/c tensioner pulley.. rev engine up while parked and listen for metallic noise. Also, can remove a/c belt and spin by hand..if noisy or doesn't spin easily (bearings) then replace it. Other than that possibly brake dust shield. From your description it is hard to pin point and is from exterior or engine bay? can be very hard to tell sometimes.
Old 04-11-2017
Registered!!

No AC belt, the compressor needs to be changed. It only seems to happen when I'm actually driving, so it's hard to pinpoint where the sound in emanating from.
Old 04-11-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alex Willett
No AC belt, the compressor needs to be changed. It only seems to happen when I'm actually driving, so it's hard to pinpoint where the sound in emanating from.
Maybe try riding around with someone in the backseat or backseat folded down to isolate noise front or back.
Old 04-11-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Locate an area to look in.
Put a passenger to good use.
Maybe stick your head (or your passengers head) out the window(s) and turn it everywhich sideways so you can discern if the noise comes from front or rear, bottom or top, left or right, etc.

(I found a sunroof rattle this way, five other people could not tell the noise came from the roof LOL)

Get underneath and thump the exhaust system with your palms? Maybe heat shields have rotted loose or a hanger bracket rusted off.
Old 04-12-2017

Originally Posted by ezone
Get underneath and thump the exhaust system with your palms? Maybe heat shields have rotted loose or a hanger bracket rusted off.

From OP's description this seems to be the most likely source.
Old 04-12-2017
Registered!!

It seems to be coming from the front driver side wheel well

Search this Thread