6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

1997 honda civic d16y7 turbo idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fw_walty_ek is an unknown quantity at this point
1997 honda civic d16y7 turbo idle problem

hey guys so I got my turbo in my 97 civic hatch with a d16y7 with a p28 ecu and i disconnected the iacv sensor. when I first started it the car started right up but as I let it run it started to sit around 1500 rpm and bounce between that and 1300 or so. just want the fix for it. once I get it going will get a tune on it probably a hondata but hope someone can help thanks guys!
Old 03-26-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1997 honda civic d16y7 turbo idle problem

i disconnected the iacv sensor.
Why not reconnect the IAC valve so the computer can control the idle?
Old 03-26-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fw_walty_ek is an unknown quantity at this point

because that's a 3 wire iacv and the p28 are a 2 wire so it can't run. the old 92-95 work but mine doesn't I've heard idle screws can work but i'm not sure.
Old 03-26-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I don't ever deal with mods like this..... I swear I thought I had read of someone figuring out how to use just 2 wires to run a 3 wire IAC valve....may have been a completely different application though.

A cold engine needs more air and fuel to idle at a given RPM than a hot engine, so if you eliminate the IAC then you either have to put up with super low idle and stalling when cold, or a high idle when warm.
You could crank the big air bypass screw in (assuming the TB has one) to make it idle decent RPM when warmed up, then you would have to use your gas pedal foot to keep it from stalling when the engine is cold.

I wonder if you could make an adapter to mount a different iac to your tb?